The Latest

Yea, it’s lead in. No one is tuning in for these shows. 7’s is the better show in every way. Nine has stronger lead ins

1 Like

A long day for Adelaide reporter Mark Mooney today, having appeared on Sunrise this morning on the missing group of adults south of Adelaide.

Also, a regular on Sunrise, Olivia Leeming made an appearance this evening.

2 Likes

Nah. It’s Thommo. He’s by far the better presenter and the Nine bulletin manages to cross to a reporter in most states across the country, not just Sydney and Melbourne, most nights.

5 Likes

What evidence is there that people are tuning in for a newsreader? He’s not been marketed or promoted.

3 Likes

He’s improved a lot these days and is a lot more watchable but I wouldn’t rate him above Michael Usher just yet. Though I suppose it’s a bit hard to compare the two since the bulletins are different in structure and format.

6 Likes

He doesn’t need to be marketed or promoted. It is enough that he has been a consistent presence on Nine’s late news throughout this year. You never know who is presenting The Latest. At various times they’ve had Mel, Musher, Mel and Musher together, Angela Cox… Pick a face for the bulletin and stick to it, Seven.

Ten’s late news became popular because viewers came to expect Sandra Sully to be on their screens some time after 10.30pm each night. It’s why she developed a huge following.

4 Likes

We can disagree there. But what evidence is There people are tuning in for the newsreader?

We can see nightly the ratings go up and down depending on the lead in

3 Likes

I rarely watch free to air TV after 7pm but I regularly tune into Nine to catch some news before I go to bed after I’ve finished streaming content. I choose Nine because Musher never seems to be on the Seven bulletin these days.

2 Likes

Tuesday 15 September-

Angela Cox is presenting tonight.

9 Likes

Strange that Michael hasn’t presented since Thu 03 Sep, as Angela Cox filled in from Tue 08 Sep to Thu 10 Sep, and is now filling in once again tonight (in addition to her permanent Monday role).

Apparently tonight is Musher’s birthday so perhaps he just requested the night off, but it’s interesting to note that he’s not on holidays at the moment as far as I’m aware, since he presented Seven News Sydney the Friday and Saturday just gone as normal.

It wouldn’t awfully surprise me too if Angela Cox has been made the permanent presenter of The Latest, since it appears she’s the permanent presenter of those Facebook bulletins they do for The Latest during the day.

But after saying all this, I assume that Michael has just been busy doing something else for the network such as filming some factuals the last couple of weeks, and he should be back on The Latest when ready.

7 Likes

I don’t think having Ange work a split shift from 10am to (up to) midnight wouldn’t be permanent.

Musher worked a lot over the last 18 months so he’s probably just using up some leave hes owed.

7 Likes

Has to be used up more like. They can’t have staff banking leave as it is essentially debt.

With Angela Cox away today, I wonder if Michael Usher will return from whatever he’s been doing the last few days (not that it’s any of my business where he is), otherwise we may see someone else brought in.

I’d say Matt Doran is a strong contender, or maybe Alex Hart may fill in after presenting The Latest as a one-off last year in August.

Another name I’d throw in the hat is Monique Wright. Whilst unlikely, I think she’d do very well on a show like this.

EDIT: Just realised The Latest isn’t on tonight, which is another matter in itself. But it’s on tomorrow (Thursday) night, so will just have to wait and see if Cox and Usher are in.

3 Likes

That could be true but I do like seeing her on Sunrise (and possibly the Early News)

5 Likes

Agree, wrong thread but when Kochie is away on extended leave and if they have Sam & Nat co-hosting, it would be good if Mon is brought on to read the news, and then Eddy could temporarily do Weekend Sunrise until Kochie is back.

1 Like

Hence why Angela is having a well deserved day off today.

3 Likes

I’ve been hoping Matt Doran would be a fill in if Michael and Angela are both unavailable,but time will tell if that will ever happen.
My guess is Angela will be back presenting tomorrow night.

4 Likes

Agreed, she’s very hard working, doing 6 days a week.

4 Likes

Calm down. You’ve jumped to a lot of conclusions there. You’ll strain something.

6 Likes

Sorry, I did jump to too many conclusions there which are most likely incorrect.

I’ve edited my post to remove the theories about what may be going on behind the scenes.