The Latest

I think the show could losen up a little

I love that it’s not a standard newscast. But Mel is super serious. Usher is good when he’s lighter

The show skews old, I think I could have a younger fresher tone and vibe

It’s feeling a little conservative and uptight to me

1 Like

Just because @VictorianSun has a different opinion of Michael than the majority here doesn’t mean he isn’t a nice person to be around,he is entitled to express his view.
In saying that l would be interested to hear his reasoning for his opinion.

8 Likes

I like Michael Usher 's news presentation style on The Latest - and on Sydney’s Friday and Saturday News.

He is better when The Latest was 30 minutes long rather than 60 minutes, but apart from that, he is good.

5 Likes

While there are presenters/reporters in the Martin Place newsroom who probably shouldn’t be there in my personal opinion, I’m of the view that Michael Usher is one of the higher quality people at Seven News right now.

If anything, Michael probably should be Ushered into the position as the main Sydney 6pm presenter because it’s seemingly obvious to most that Mark Ferguson isn’t the right person to lead that bulletin to #1 ratings for any extended period of time.

Same here.

4 Likes

So would I. I’m sure some people here just throw out these provocative statements to get a reaction. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that opinion isn’t worth much if you can’t back it up with some well reasoned thoughts.

5 Likes

For consideration - the lead-in to The Latest for the 2 weeks that it was at 7pm.

6 Likes

Nothing Surprising there

2 Likes

Yes but saying that someone should be ushered down and says he lowers the standard of Channel Seven (without a logical reasoning) is not very nice in general.

3 Likes

Exactly. Fair enough to have a different opinion, but at least give a reasoning for that opinion!

Robert Ovadia, Laura Banks, Bryan Seymour - those three are not very good journalists (as I’d imagine most on Media Spy would agree) and the general quality of their work represents a lot of what is wrong with Seven News Sydney IMO.

1 Like

Maybe because quality-wise, he isn’t the most pleasant newsreader? Don’t get me wrong he is professional but he is very cold and disconnected with the audience. Every time you see him reading the news he looks like he’s reading from the auto cue and doesn’t even bother trying to make his presentation a bit more relatable for the average viewer (I know that news is supposed to be straight to the point, but at least in Australia I think the average viewer expects some personality from the reader when appropriate). Not to mention his banter seems forced and unnatural, creating some unusually awkward moments with his other presenters.

1 Like

Totally agree we need to hear his reasoning…
We read lots of posts on this forum on a daily basis that are not nice towards individuals or networks.

…was a former reporter on Today Tonight and got redeployed to Seven News when TT got axed in 2014. That and Helen Wellings probably explains the tabloid-style format of Seven News Sydney these days.

1 Like

Amazing how we all see different things. I see Mel as being less serious, more chatty at times. They interact well, I often see them watching each other closely, they exchange smiles, and of late they’ve loosened up a bit before breaks and at the end with the “final frame”. I like the pairing.
If The Latest is going to settle in to a 9.30/10pm timeslot, and returns to 30mins, I think they could cover the 7 days between them, and sometimes together if it’s a big news day/week.

3 Likes

I do understand why you may not classify Bryan Seymour as good in journalism. He has a tabloid-reporting style still stuck inside him from his time at TT. Robert Ovadia and Laura Banks are fine though. What’s wrong with two award-winning journalists?

1 Like

Robert Ovadia has been around for a while now; he, Chris Reason, Helen Wellings and Chris Maher are one of the few still remaining from the Ross Symonds/Ann Sanders era.

2 Likes

So with Usher to me it appears he has some smugness. As a presenter he seems to rush through it too often and with him being on every night without variety he comes stale. Also it would be good to not always have Sydney presenters all the time.

Not sure where you get smugness from. He’s always fair and professional.

And the show is produced in Sydney, where else would the presenters be from?

6 Likes

Matt Doran presenting with Mel again tonight.

5 Likes

I think he means that there could be presenters from various 7NEWS studios come in and present the Latest at one point or another. Correct me if I may be wrong.

1 Like

Guys, please don’t jump on others for having different opinions on presenters. By all means say something like “I feel he’s always fair…” but don’t go after other people - because, really, these are all just our opinions.

In my opinion too, he’s not the best presenter, and I don’t watch 7 as much when he’s on. I feel he’s a bit over-professional in his newsreader role which I don’t connect with. But that’s just me.

Again, please, we are not all-knowing gods… we are forum posters with our opinions. No-one should be passive-aggressive to others. That’s not what we’re all here for.

7 Likes