The Latest

What a fantastic promo. Haven’t seen something that classy and well execuated… in years!
Maybe even a decade or so!

9 Likes

The ratings might be a little weak some nights, but it’s strengthened the Seven News brand around the country. If it can gain 120-100k at 11pm it’s warranted.

Easily the best national commercial news bulletin on Australian TV. Hopefully the other networks up their game. Seven should be proud of this product. Love to see a return of Nightline.

8 Likes

I like the bulletin, format and the anchor but feel if it is at 11pm, it is a tad late. A 10:30pm start time would be great before people go to bed. Just my 2c.

7 Likes

Reminds me a bit like Seven News at 7. Seven went all out and it didn’t last long

1 Like

The title of the bulletin ties in nicely with the promotional tagline of a previous incarnation of a Seven late news service.

32%20PM

2 Likes

Just fantastic that promo. The mere tone gels very well with the feel of the bulletin and the soft rendition of the theme creates the same effect. Musher looks passionate about this project.

7 Likes

My memory of that one is a little fuzzy, but wasn’t it basically a sweetener for Mel when she was moved from Sunrise?

9 Likes

I’ll be surprised (and honestly well done to Seven if it does) if this lasts the year. Nice little vehicle for Musher to get a bit more of a national presenting profile once more.

The issue is that Seven hasn’t done hard news in over a decade (Melbourne produced 4:30 News the last time they did) , so nobody expects it to exist on the network anymore.

4 Likes

Loved that David Johnston bulletin and thought The Latest was reminiscent of it (non traditional news, sport and weather format) when it premiered.

7 Likes

That promo is magnificent.

Sean Power and Michael Usher have done an incredible job with The Latest.

I would be making Sean Power the EP of Sevens Election coverage of both the NSW & Federal Elections.

5 Likes

I still think there’s room for something at 7pm

1 Like

Ah yes, and Brownie did the weather. It lasted some weeks? I recall watching it once in January 2014 and there was a story of a giant crack in the West Gate Bridge

Crickey Newsworld
Clive Robertson that’s going back a few years… Must be getting old :thinking:

I think the main reason Seven News at 7pm on 7TWO didn’t work was because it was a national bulletin airing on a second tier multichannel, compared to the long established and obviously main channel ABC News at 7pm which is at least localised to each state/territory. Had Seven decided to do something like two local half hour bulletins at 6pm/7pm and an alternative program at 6.30pm, things might’ve turned out differently.

As for The Latest, the main reasons I’m still sceptical that it’ll last overly long on the air (even though I really hope it does) are because of things like Seven News at 7pm on 7TWO and also due to the fact that the most recent attempts by Nine & Ten to relaunch late news bulletins after time off air in the past decade or so weren’t exactly long running.

Mind you, this users opinions could also be coloured somewhat by the fact he lives in Sydney, where the 6pm edition of Seven News could really use some of the additional resources that are used to produce The Latest and even Sunday Night (let’s be honest here, one of the first signs of a decline for Seven News Sydney was probably the launch of SN in 2009).

1 Like

If The Latest continues throughout the year, I’m sure Seven may dedicate a full time reporting crew in both Sydney and Melbourne, Taking the pressure off current newsroom resources.

Providing an open window for news updates to Perth viewers maybe a good idea. This could be inserted (and presented by a local) into the bulletin from the west coast.

1 Like

The promo reminds me of a nightly news promo from the US, which this show isn’t all that dissimilar from format-wise.

It means being ready to go live at any second

Except if you’re in Queensland, SA, NT or Western Australia…

5 Likes

Love the introduction of the debate panel segment tonight. Was very good.

1 Like

Does The Latest EVER start on time? Adelaide’s not scheduled to start 10:30, but it’s just started at 10:16. I love watching it but would’ve missed the top stories if I didn’t channel surf during the ad break. :roll_eyes:

Have half a state on fire but nah the news is all about some cold snap in the US. Great national bulletin…