The Latest

The numbers for The Latest need to be looked at on a daily basis rather than weekly as it is usually only shown 4 days; 2 weeks ago it was just 3 days. As mentioned above, the total people numbers rate lower than 10’s programs like Law and Order: SVU and the NCIS franchises (and below Nine’s tennis coverage) and on one day it was below One’s program. In the demos, it also generally ranks behind Nine and Ten’s main channels and yes also sometimes behind the programs on 7Mate.

The key consideration is that Seven have bumped the broadcast to 11pm. So next week will be the the crucial test on whether the bulletin survives. What the criteria are that Seven uses to its judge future, we don’t know, but the network is usually quick to act on underperformance especially in what is looking like a very close rating contest this year. In the competitive environment, I don’t think cost savings would be the number one priority, rather gaining a few extra late night viewers would be regarded as key.

6 Likes

Yeah, I agree. If it doesn’t pick up in the ratings over the next week or so, I’d fully expect Seven to think of The Latest as being an over Summer experiment which didn’t quite work and go back to US imports or whatever was previously airing at 10.30/11pm.

One would’ve expected Nine (and possibly Ten) to launch their own clones of the format by now if The Latest was highly successful for Seven.

1 Like

‘The Latest’ is set to continue after the Big Bash cricket season ends, but in a Monday - Thursday slot. I haven’t seen it confirmed anywhere else, only heard from a friend.

12 Likes

Makes sense. 4 days a week.
AFL will be on Friday’s.

Hope it stays around.

6 Likes

Worth noting that The Latest’s time slot in the latest schedule from Seven is currently a series of TBAs.

1 Like

aka To Be Axed lol.

3 Likes

Seriously… put The Latest on earlier. Why invest such an effort in creating something new and that has been well received, to then bury it at 11pm? Of course it will fail. No one is up watching.
I’m back at work and it’s now on delay in Qld, so all I could manage was the first 5 mins before nodding off.
Give it a try at 10pm… al least in Qld while daylight saving is on to see how it goes.

1 Like

Seven have now confirmed:

11 Likes

Surely 9 will have something in the works now?

2 Likes

A much better quality article compared to what we’ve seen in the past from that site :slight_smile:

1 Like

CONFIRMED:

It’s your trademark bro, work with it.

7 Likes

Very glad to hear this is continuing despite some on here asserting that it wouldn’t last at all. It truely is one of the best news broadcasts put to air in Australia.

I hope this is the starting point for Sean Power as I can see him doing bigger things in the years to come at 7.

1 Like

Gasp, you’ve wounded me with your cutting accusation :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m playing a long game here, I still reckon it won’t survive in the long run… but as I’ve said previously, I’m a news guy, so happy to be proven wrong… for now

2 Likes

I think they’re still testing it out. Give it a few weeks in a normal schedule and see what happens.

1 Like

I thought that the Seven schedule posted 8 days ago confirmed that The Latest would continue in 2019 at around 11pm Monday - Thursday.

1 Like

Didn’t that have a stack of TBAs in the timeslot?

That was the following week.

2 Likes

There was a new promo in Melbourne tonight. Looked good.

**Apologies, I know YouTube says it’s HD but I’m still trying to figure out why none of my recordings aren’t actually saving as HD.

15 Likes

In all seriousness, I only use that if I can confirm speculation or information from my sources. Not if someone else has confirmed it.

Great promo and glad that they are sticking with it. One of the best productions to come out of commercial TV news in years.

4 Likes