The Latest

I hope it stays. We need it. There’s also room in the market IMO for Nightline. As America wakes up and more news breaks, it provides the opportunity to broadcast it as it happens.

8 Likes

I’d like to see your calculations for this number!

1 Like

lol, sorry, it was a tongue-in-cheek calculation. It just seems to be that high of a % that the AFL runs extremely overtime to boost the late-night ratings share.

1 Like

All good, knew it was but fairly accurate nonetheless!

1 Like

I only watched this for the first time last night, can’t believe how much better the supers are. They fit in really well with the cross box background and very smoothy animate. Such a massive improvement on their normal news package.

My only criticism would be the animation for the headlines in the opener is a bit much - I don’t know why they’re animating under the wipe… can’t they just change along with it?

6 Likes

One of a couple of things that is deeply concerning me about this show… Is their seemingly disregard for actually breaking news and flippant use of terms like ‘late breaking’ or ‘just into the newsroom’…

They just lead an update at 10.35pm by saying a nursing home worker has just been arrested over the assault of five residents… She hasn’t… 10 News had breaking news on this at 5pm and 7 neglected it, with no mention of it in their 6pm bulletin…

As far as I’m concerned they’ve totally missed the boat on that story but are trying to portray it as something else.

There have been numerous other times where they say ‘this vision has just come into the newsroom’ - well when it’s more than 24 hours old, it just makes the bulletin look silly!!!

5 Likes

Why are there no editions of The Latest on the Friday and Saturday?

Can only assume that’ll be Michael Usher’s first day off in a month.

Today marks his 20th day in a row.

4 Likes

Welcome to commercial TV news, where a story can be breaking hours after it actually happened.

The 6 o’clocks do it all the time… how often have we seen items branding as breaking when they happened at 4 even 3 or 2 o’clock.

It’s the same as “First On” branding … now utterly meaningless.

4 Likes

Louise Hedger from 7 Tasmania doing a live cross on The Latest tonight, she read the news earlier but didn’t do the updates as they were done by Tom Johnson in Launceston, this would explain why.

1 Like

Caught the Latest for the first time tonight. What a fantastic bulletin. It shows just how to do commercial tv news without dumbing it down. The bulletin needs to stay and the rest of 7’s news output should follow suit.

9 Likes

It’s all a secret trial for 7 newest multi channel
7The latest news
:sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

So looks like The Latest has been axed from tonight’s schedule?

Or did we know this already…

1 Like

It can’t be “axed” if it was never scheduled in the first place.

11 Likes

Makes sense. There is no BBL lead in tonight.

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with the program after the cricket. It will continue, I’ve got no doubt. But what nights will they schedule it on. A new weekend presenter will be required in Sydney for the long run.

I can also see Nine reinstating Nightline soon, once they’ve sorted out the “Today issues”.

1 Like

I watched it again last night and I have to say it was much better than last week. Much less interrupting by Michael and less of the rushing feel but still plenty of the live crosses. It’s a pretty good thing to have after the cricket for people who like the news.

5 Likes

There was no BBL lead in last weekend and they aired it after The Sound of Music…

1 Like

Yep, I would say the network was trying to build traction with the show, and test out the format a bit. I would assume from now on, The program won’t be shown on Saturday nights.

4 Likes

Week commencing 13 January - The Latest only scheduled on 3 days.

2 Likes

So it’s on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday?

Oh Seven, what are you doing?

3 Likes

Certainly not trying to build an audience or any traction!!