The Latest

Tim got his start on Nine News Melbourne in the late-noughties. Also spent a year in Sydney in 2011.

Courtesy: BradF89

5 Likes

Completely off topic but that was such an odd period for Nine News Melbourne when the weekend news was presented standing up.

In front of a green screen, guess nothing has changed for Tim :wink:

8 Likes

I didn’t know this. So is Tim defiantly from Perth? Or Melbourne? :thinking:

Because curvy desk fancy :rofl:

1 Like

Wait they did the whole weekend news standing up? How long did that last for?

1 Like

He’s definitely from Perth, though began his media career in Melbourne (even I thought he was from Melbourne when I first saw him present the national afternoon news in 2009).

Similarly, Tracy Vo also began her media career in Sydney before moving (back) to Perth in the mid-teens.

I think it was from 2008 right up until GTV-9 received a new set in August 2009 (the one that existed between Aug 2009-Jan 2017).

7 Likes

Yes, from memory GTV9 did the national afternoon news for about a month prior to “This Afternoon” commencing. Tim presented the bulletin.

3 Likes

Wide shot to open tonight’s bulletin

Also seen

11 Likes

That looks absolutely ridiculous.

5 Likes

Shocking. Can’t believe they’re allowing that set to go to air nationally. But I guess it’s saving them $$$.

Nine did it right by giving each state the same set.

Surprised they didn’t give Perth the old Martin Place desk. Would improve the space immensely.

6 Likes

Just fixing the renderings of the designs for the green screen would also be a great start in improving the quality and look of the bulletin.

No idea why they’ve stuck with that ridiculous strip of 'screen’s at the top of the set.

7 Likes

This looks like a cartoon.

2 Likes

I honestly looks fine, to the average viewer at home it’s fairly standard. It is what it is, and will be for the time being so suggest people just accept it.

6 Likes

Yes agreed… the average viewer may not even realise it is being presented out of Perth to be honest.

3 Likes

When the set looks so dodgy in the wider shots, why not avoid them and stick to closer shots. The first bulletin looked better without them. Tim looks so tiny compared to the desk.

This wide shot was better on night one.

The rendering could do with some more processing power or resolution - every single line that is on an angle is so jagged.

8 Likes

With The Latest colours and background, the set looks better than it does for the Perth bulletins. Indeed, I was expecting it to look worse because of that.

5 Likes

It might look fine to you. That’s, um… fine. But I’d politely suggest that objectively saying ‘it is fine’ is wrong. I tend to think viewers deserve a lot more credit than you’re giving them. Okay they wouldn’t notice conciously, but who’s to say some might not think ‘hey, this set doesn’t look quite right’?

This, on the other hand, is probably true. The sets and backdrops are all generic enough. The ‘average viewer’ might probably think ‘ooh, he’s new. Oh, and they must be doing it from another studio’ and not think too much more of it.

1 Like

Oh personally I don’t like it, never been a fan of green screen sets… but end of the day it serves its purpose, it’s what they’ve elected to go with. It’s satisfactory , it’s fine.

2 Likes

It is hard to believe they looked at that and said, ‘yeah its fine’. It’s not the biggestbof issues, but if it can’t be done right, don’t do it. They used to do weather without the host on camera and with a live shot from somewhere in the world…just go back to that

2 Likes

Surely the people who designed the Sydney set would have a crude 3D file of the set? Would it be difficult for Seven to hand that over to a team that can polish it up and make it suitable for use on Perth’s green stage?

6 Likes