The increasingly crowded streaming market

No. I think it’s this year, and even when it does I’m pretty sure it’s just going to be extra channels and content on tenplay and maybe P+

3 Likes

Some channels are on tenplay now but there needs to be more

Why do we need more channels? Why not just have the shows available for streaming?

2 Likes

Does anyone know who channel 7 has its deal with for its streaming channels?

1 Like

I’m still watching the Baywatch channel (1-3 episodes every few days… compared to HOURS upon HOURS when I really got into it lol) via Samsung TV. It’s glorious!

FAST channels are growing faster than streaming now. Viewers seem to like them and they are an easy cheap way to monetize old conent

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered what the story was with these. I always thought they would just be a bit of a one-hit wonder and then fade away but obviously not. Would be interesting to see these pop up on streaming platforms in some form.

Because you don’t have to think about what to put on…

5 Likes

Hence the reason I said Would be interesting to see these pop up on streaming platforms in some form. The only one that I know of is the Netflix shuffle function. Not really a channel but still works similarly.

1 Like

The HBO / WBD deals will expire for Binge and Sky both in 2025 i think?

By then WBD will know if it wants to launch a stand alone “Max” product In the #2 and #3 English speaking markets in the world

The Sky and Binge deals buY WBD plenty of time and cash till then

2 Likes

Would Binge be doing better than Stan in the streaming market ? Stan has more original content I imagine and I assumed more customers paying .

Posted by Finder in January, this is the top 5 of what subscribers have:

Streaming usage in Australia
Netfix 65%
Disney+ 35%
Prime Video 30%
Stan 22%
Binge 13%

2 Likes

Not really a fair battle when there is still a significant amount of Foxtel subscribers limiting the Binge numbers

3 Likes

I’m actually stunned that the gap between Netflix and Disney+ is so big… I know Netflix have been around a lot longer, but Disney arguably has a stronger brand, richer heritage and a deeper content library for the gap to be 30% is a surprise to me.

2 Likes

There was another graph recently as part of an ACMA report

1 Like

I think that’s precisely the reason - although I suspect there’s also a slight perception that Disney means “kids stuff”? Which of course these days is nonsense, but I wonder if that’s why they’re leaning on the Star brand more often recently, for things that might’ve been Fox branded in the past, as a more “adult” differentiator.

New to Shelter this March

REGULAR OR SUPER | MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL
DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM
MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED & PROFANE

Discover the minimalist ethos behind some of North America’s most striking urban landmarks; watch a museum strip back its walls and reveal its treasures to the public; venture back in time into the urbanist shift that defined Melbourne’s skyline; and investigate the oppositional concepts central to the work of an iconic Swiss architect this March on SHELTER.

MIES VAN DER ROHE: REGULAR OR SUPER

Famous for designing such landmarks as New York’s Seagram Building, Toronto’s Dominion Centre and numerous buildings in Chicago, Mies van der Rohe was best known for his minimalist designs.

An obsession with purity & simplicity and an adherence to his belief that “less is more” influenced the way he combined form & function; creating a connection to the outdoors and architecture that is less removed from life and more reflective of how we actually live.

With a jazz-infused soundtrack, inspired cinematography and commentary from Stanley Tigerman, Rem Koolhaus and Phyllis Lambert; REGULAR OR SUPER brings van der Rohe’s work to life in a documentary that captures the spirit of the man and his brilliant contributions to 20th-century architecture.

• REGULAR OR SUPER (57 mins) Canada 2005 (Available 7 March)

DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM

Design vs Build: Burke Museum - Trailer on Vimeo

The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture is the oldest public museum in Washington State, tracing its roots back to 1879, and housing a collection of over 18 million artifacts and specimens; ranging from totem poles and gemstones to dinosaur fossils.

Yet most visitors never got to experience any of these treasures of the past, which remained hidden behind concrete walls and inside research labs.

When the Burke was granted major funding in 2015 for a new building, a bold new idea was presented by Architect Olson Kundig: what if the museum was turned “inside out”?

The final result sought to create a one-of-a-kind museum experience, where guests could look into working research areas and laboratories. But getting there wouldn’t be easy; requiring a delicate transfer of the museum’s millions of unique and treasured items from the old building to the new.

• DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM (30 mins) USA 2023 (Available 14 March )

RESIDENT URBANISM: MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL

Known for its iconic and striking skyline; the city of Melbourne needed a drastic design shift in the mid-20th century to become what it is today.

Exploring from 1950 to 1980, this feature-length documentary film charts the development of the International Style of corporate architecture and the rise of the glass box, curtained-wall style office building, that would shape the look and feel of Melbourne’s urban centre.

• MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL (65 mins) Australia 2015 (Available 21 March )

MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED AND PROFANE

Renowned Swiss architect Mario Botta retraces some of the most significant steps of his career, exploring the inner questions that pushed him to investigate the spaces of the sacred and the profane; two coexisting but oppositional concepts that are integral to his work.

MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED AND PROFANE delves into the architect’s worldwide projects and his founding of the Accademia di Architettura and the Teatro dell’Architettura, before diving into his exhibit for the MAXXI Museum in Rome; an installation composed of heterogeneous and highly expressive materials, including a 1:1 scale pavilion and a facade prototype; models; sketches and photographs of his built projects.

Botta’s reflection is explored, complimented and challenged by fellow critics and colleagues Enzo Cucchi, Margherita Guccione, Fulvio Irace, Vittorio Sgarbi and Giuliano Vangi.

• MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED & PROFANE (21 mins) Italy 2022 (Available 28 March )

Since these are popping up everywhere…

Nosey has been running a Jerry Springer marathon over the weekend. Bloody good stuff.

5 Likes

You might need to show us some of your working on this one - there is no public service obligation and the streamers price their products to what they believe the market is willing (and capable) to spend.

It would be nice if they were cheaper and as people tighten budgets these will be among the first things to get dumped from people’s spending, but the services need to be sustainable. Australia can still be stupidly expensive to have the infrastructure to support this stuff.