The increasingly crowded streaming market

It’s getting to the point where its becoming a joke. I dont need to show any working. Off the top of my head, I’d have to pay at least $100 to watch all the sport I’m watching.

The more people that pull out, the more they’ll have to listen. I smell another bubble bursting.

As for the sports leagues that are increasingly wanting more and more in rights fees…f**k you. If we have to pull our belts in, so can you. Biscuit brains Ponga doesnt deserve the money he’s on, and a lot of other sports stars are in the same boat.

2 Likes

I don’t spend a huge amount on streaming services as I just come and go from individual services from time to time, which is one of the joys of streamers not having lock-in contracts, but I agree that it’s inevitable that the streaming bubble will burst.

We saw it with pay TV operators when it was clear that a 3-way contest between Foxtel, Optus and Galaxy was not sustainable. And I think there will come a point when a number of streaming services will also have to consolidate to survive. They can’t all last forever.

2 Likes

The barrier for failure appears to be a lot higher for streamers and I’m surprised we haven’t seen more fail (the ones that do seem to have few subscribers and often niche content, excluding say Presto which I think was doomed to fail), thats not to say it wont happen though.

1 Like

While I can see having a similar number of streaming providers in the market to now being largely sustainable for entertainment and niche services, as far as sports streamers go I can’t see how this is sustainable. To get every sports service that has either a significant sport or a wide range of sports, you now need to fork out at least (assuming 1 screen, and taking annual passes when available):
-Kayo ($25.00 per month)
-Optus ($16.58 per month - annual pass $199.00)
-Stan ($25.00 per month)
-Bein ($14.99 per month- annual pass $179.99)
-Paramount+ ($7.49 per month- annual pass $89.99)

That’s $89.06 per month at the absolute minimum. Surely there will have to be some consolidation in the market in the coming months? I cannot see how this can be in any way shape or form sustainable.

2 Likes

Did a calculation of all my streaming services I subscribe to…

Service Price
Stan $16
Flash $8
Paramount+ $9
Disney $14
Prime $7
Netflix $17
AppleTV+ $10
YouTube (because I dont want ads on my phone lol) $20
Total $101

Honestly, this is where I wish that all these production companies did not make their own service, and stayed on Netflix, but I know why they did it though, and I can imagine my spending will increase when Max comes to Australia.

Hopefully there will be consolidation of all these services soon…

2 Likes

Don’t forget you need the base package just to get Stan Sport so it’s really $35.

That is factoring in the base package ($10 for one screen being cheapest) + $15 for sport.

Didn’t they put the Stan Sport price up to $25 excluding the $10 base package price?

Still looks to be $15 (for now anyway).

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see them raise it to $25 (or more) at some point though, especially if they end up doing a deal with beIN.

The LG Channels app is now available in Australia on LG smart tv’s

2 Likes

Is this basically the same as the Samsung and TCL tv app?

1 Like

Yes it’s LG’s version

2 Likes

There’s now a channel on Samsung that endlessly plays UWCL matches and highlights.

1 Like

From BBC Studios annual results announced today

The company also revealed that its “Best of British” joint streaming service with ITV, BritBox International, has 3 million subscribers across eight markets including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Nordics and South Africa — up 15% from 2022.

1 Like

That is so poor.

1 Like
2 Likes

Netflix had 6.1 million subscribers, down 3 per cent, while Amazon Prime Video was up 9 per cent to 4.5 million. Disney+ crept up 1 per cent to 3.1 million, and Stan rose 2 per cent to 2.6 million. Foxtel’s Binge rose 22 per cent to 1.5 million, Paramount+ rose 41 per cent to 1.5 million and Kayo Sports jumped 8 per cent to 1.4 million. These figures include unpaid subscriptions.

4 Likes

Seems like the most appropriate place - sports streamer ClutchTV has gone into administration

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/community-sports-live-streaming-business-cluchtv-goes-into-voluntary-administration/news-story/f67ebfb639b533d8b5cd378a9fea26f0

1 Like

I mean it’s not really my area of interest, but I’ve never even heard of this one!

2 Likes