The increasingly crowded streaming market

All-new series from the upcoming April season – the biggest on record to be announced soon – will stream only on Crunchyroll; Funimation will continue to add new episodes of current series.

In my opinion, I for one think this is a good move. Crunchyroll is more well known for dire hard anime fans than Funimation (Funimation has been getting a lot of flack lately for streaming not being the best and buffering a lot ). and don’t get me started on dub vs sub lol

Kartoon Channel! will debut in Australia on Samsung TV Plus this Wednesday, March 23.

2 Likes

Sharing is caring, if anyone uses Beamafilm, they now have an Apple TV app, just noticed it today. Previously they had an app for phone/tablet, but not on the Apple TV itself.

1 Like

This will be heavily bid upon. I think Stan will win out as they need at least one major studio exclusively.

2 Likes

The kicker is the second-last line of the article:

Any contract, once signed, is expected to include a termination clause allowing NBCU to go direct to consumer at any point in future.

Could be a potentially risky deal for the network/outlet which ultimately wins out if NBCU has a change of strategy regarding launching Peacock locally.

2 Likes

Stan had ABC US and Freeform content and some Disney movies I think for a while before Disney + launched.

You would think 7 would be bidding on this for content for 7Plus .

1 Like

Does anyone know whether or not the majority of streaming services still use a specific time to launch their new content? I know Netflix was doing there’s at 7 pm, is this still the case?

1 Like

Sometimes for Netflix its midnight on the release date

Has anyone received a $2 for two months offers from Britbox recently? It seems like a great deal but worried it’s a scam!

1 Like

I pay for Paramount+, Stan, Optus Sport and Foxtel just to watch sport

According to JustWatch, in the second quarter of 2022 (April, May and June), Netflix held the title of most used streaming service in Australia. Netflix held 28 per cent of the streaming service market share in Australia, but was followed closely by Amazon’s Prime Video service, which boasts a 21 per cent market share. Disney+ came in third with 17 per cent, Aussie-owned Stan was the highest ranking local streaming service, with a 10 per cent market share. Binge was next with 9 per cent, Foxtel Now had 6 per cent and Paramount+ also held a 6 per cent market share. The remaining 3 per cent was comprised of “others” (think Shudder, DocPlay as a an example of this).

3 Likes

“Measured interest in SVOD services” doesn’t sound like a good analogue for viewing figures.

Over 75% of households were paying for a streaming service in 2021, which is expected to rise to over 80% by the end of 2022.

Households are spending a total of $4,500 a year on internet access, subscription TV, gaming, social gaming, cinema, news media subscriptions and printed newspapers, podcasting, books, magazines, music and live events.

More than half a million streaming subscriptions were cancelled in Australia in the second quarter of this year, with 37 per cent citing the need to save money as the cost of living started to bite…

In Australia, 6.3 million households subscribed to at least one video streaming service between April and June 2022.

While total market penetration remained stable compared to the first quarter at 63.6 per cent of households, those with under-25-year-olds in the household saw a steep decline in penetration of 4 per cent, or 62,000 households, as the cost of living rose and streaming services raised their prices.

LaLiga moving to OTT streaming

1 Like

With HBO Max planning to go global in a couple of years do you think Peacock will as well ?

The name sounds terrible for a global brand lol.