The increasingly crowded streaming market

Is AMC+ basically just Shudder and Acorntv combined? Or does AMC+ have other exclusive content?

1 Like

It has other exclusive content that’s only part of AMC+

2 Likes

Britbox I subscribed to for a few shows. Will be cancelling soon.

On the Apple TV , auto play is enabled . It can’t be turned off.

Last night fell asleep went from S2 E4 of Detectorists and this morning it says it’s half way through Season 3.

2 Likes

The BBC (yes I know bbox is also itv) really needs to sort out their streaming plans. These legacy deals with the likes of foxtel and channels with no audience like BBC First need to stop precluding first run BBC content on either BritBox or a new global iplayer service. I’d happily pay a premium for access to BBC content as it airs/is published in the UK with a stream of BBC World News thrown in etc

3 Likes

Also the BBC watermark in the top left corner. Might as well have watched Detectorists on Netflix but they only have the first 2 seasons.

1 Like

BritBox now streaming on Android TV.

At BritBox, we’re always adding new ways to watch. Now our BritBox app is available on compatible Android TV streaming devices.

We support AndroidTV and GoogleTV streaming devices that run Android OS 5.0 and above, including Google Chromecast TV and set-top boxes such as NVIDIA Shield.

We also support a wide variety of Android TV-enabled Smart TV models from manufacturers such as Sony, Kogan, TCL and Soniq more. Find out if your device is supported.

3 Likes

came out a few weeks ago

Top streaming programs and movies.

1 Like
1 Like

Interestingly this article speculates that NBCuniversal aus in talks with local companies about a tie up for Peacock. Interestingly they’re talking to seven west and viacomCBS and not Stan or fox.

Surely Stan is the best option considering Peacock in the US is a complete failure by the sounds of things.

Talking to Viacom CBS for a SkyShowtime sort of arrangement in Australia? Don’t see how that would benefit ViacomCBS though considering they’re trying to build up Paramount+. Surely it’d be unfeasible to start from scratch even after such a short time?

2 Likes

An interesting view on sports streaming from the US. Lot of complaining about the problems with micro betting when watching on a lagging stream.

“Even Comcast is delayed versus being in the stadium,” Rich Greenfield, analyst and partner at LightShed Partners, tells The Verge. He notes that technologies like Phenix can work to reduce latency in livestreams, but Greenfield adds that when it comes to streaming live events, users can experience “upwards of 45 seconds of delay.”

“It’s a real issue for betting — not for betting on who wins, but when you get into micro-betting on plays, it’s certainly an issue,” he says.

“There is latency from the field of play … and then there is ‘drift’ which is the time between users watching the same thing on the same platform,” he says. “In other words, you and I could watch the Super Bowl on YouTube TV and be 60 seconds apart from each other. So it’s both the latency and the drift when you hear your friend comment on a touchdown but you haven’t seen the play yet.”

I’ve definitely noticed “drift” here - two TVs on the same catch-up service can be out of synch by several seconds.

1 Like

I don’t think micro-betting would be a problem/issue for sports codes, as long as the contractual broadcast and/or streaming arrangements are being met, outside the sports sponsorship made by betting companies which presents a conflict in this regard, as it would be for their benefit to work on this “issue”.

This may be a bit of an odd one, but a query regarding foreign language shows on streaming services in Australia.

I’m a little surprised that there hasn’t been more of an effort to capture a market.
SBS clearly is the leader here, Netflix has some and maybe Prime?
Foxtel has a few but you need to look pretty hard to find them (why they’re not broadcast on say Fox One even at an obscure time is beyond me)

I would have thought a way of capturing an audience would be to try and get content by targeting a language or two and then seeing what content is available.

I’ll add, I don’t have all streaming services, so others may be doing it that I’m unaware of, but just see it as a bit of a missed opportunity.

Could just be a case of not trying against SBS or thinking there’s no value in it.

Netflix and Prim have a lot of foreign content that is automatically translated into English. But it’s very easy to see when you watch these that the default language is something else due to the very noticeable time delay. Netflix is bringing out more and more of it’s own foreign content these days.

2 Likes

Amazon Prime has quite a lot of Bollywood movies.

1 Like

A lot of these countries have their own streaming services away from the mainstream ones. I know there’s a South African expat sort of one for example and others around. Chinese too I think.

2 Likes

There’s a multitude of them like iQiyi and Tencent, Youku, Mango TV etc. Though that’s understandable considering Netflix, Disney, Prime and co are all but banned.