The increasingly crowded streaming market

1 Like

$10 per month would probably be double what a news streaming service should be priced at.

6 Likes

I wonder if they have any original content planned for the service, or it’s just working as a news aggregator for various services. Can only imagine that’s where the real value would be for something specific like this streamer is, have to agree that $10 a month sounds like too high as a price point.

2 Likes

Id like to see more news bulletins after 5pm on Sky News added to this somehow. It’s all Credlin, Bolt etc and the next bulletin isn’t until 11:30pm.

4 Likes

I dunno, I’ll pay $10 for it and probably drop Foxtel

1 Like

And that’s just it isn’t it.

Drop Foxtel which is roughly $100 a month and get

• Binge $11
  • Kayo -$25
  • Flash $10

Much much cheaper for the same content.

4 Likes

You’d have to think they might have some incentive for a package bundle for all 3 too, could be a good way to get more subscribers across all platforms.

3 Likes

I currently have Stan ($20) and will be looking to add P+ ($8.99) closer to the 2021-22 A-league season which hasn’t started yet

2 Likes

I would still love to see Streamoution do this in a bundle.

1 Like

Nailed it.

No doubt there’s going to be some pretty heavy discounting going on in the cancellations department as more and more legacy subscribers start to realise that the streaming alternative is going to cost them far less.

3 Likes

Interesting tidbit in there about Foxtel being interested if the price is right for them (which it probably won’t).

Optus really need to hang onto EPL rights, otherwise Optus Sport just won’t be sustainable, even though they have the FIFA WWC and the WSL. It’ll be very tough, especially with big hitters such as Paramount+ (and Viacom CBS behind it) and Amazon being involved; and Stan wanting to become the new home of football.

They all know that football fans will follow the EPL everywhere, and the boost in subscribers they’ll get will be more than decent, so there’s a bit on the line here! Fascinating times ahead…

4 Likes

And looking at the stats with only 4% penetration for P+ they really need the EPL. Optus has more than they do and they only have that really as content. So it’s an instant audience base.

3 Likes

At around $70 mill per year. That’s a lot of subscribtions required to breakeven.

1 Like

Especially when you may have some of those subscribers already through the other rights purchased

1 Like

Do Optus need it to work? The vast majority of their customers wouldn’t be paying for Optus Sport given they bundle it free with so many plans.

Surely they could get much of the benefit with a deal to do Stan or Paramount bundles, and in turn get a wider depth of non-sports content, and be exposed to less of the risk of not making up the revenue.

Paramount certainly to me are in the position of needing it the most, Stan are already successful enough without the sports component, so won’t push quite as high. Maybe Sports Flick will offer a billion…

2 Likes

So I was watching Slasher on Netflix, Season 1-3 and googled Season 4… apparently it has moved to Shudder. I signed up for a free 7 day trial with Shudder (8 episodes should easily be through that in a week).

Watching Detectorists on Netflix but only Season 1 and 2 there, Season 3 on Britbox so had to sign up to there to watch it … though am signed up for Spitting Image until it ends.

1 Like

Does anyone know whether Amazon Prime Streaming rights to the one Thursday NFL game they had last year?

1 Like

I’m not surprised that they’d put a bid in, but I wouldnt expect it to be particularly competitive given they seem to have walked away from being a football broadcaster.

The Premier League has represented decent value for rights holders - it delivers a decent amount of content (both live and on-demand) and it attracts customers.

2 Likes
1 Like

Why?

1 Like