The increasingly crowded streaming market

1 Like

as it stands with subscription video on demand:

• 10 All Access/Paramount+ (Paramount, CBS and Showtime)
  • Acorn TV (UK content)
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Apple TV
  • Britbox (BBC/ITV)
  • Disney+/Star (with 20th Century Studios/FX/ABC America)
  • Docplay (docos)
  • Foxtel Go/Foxtel Now/Binge (with Warner/HBO Max content)
  • Hayu (NBC Universal reality)
  • iWonder (docos)
  • Kayo (Foxtel sports)
  • Netflix (with Netflix originals and little else)
  • Optus Sport
  • Shudder (horror/thriller movies)
  • Sony Bravia Core (Sony Pictures, expect a non-Bravia smart TV version with the same content)
  • Stan/Stan Sports
  • YouTube Premium

my future predictions:

• 7plus extra (possible paid version of 7plus with no ads and some exclusive content)
  • Dreamworks
  • HBO Max on its own after the deal with Foxtel lapses
  • MGM/United Artists
  • Peacock (NBC Universal general entertainment and movies, separate to Hayu)
  • Roadshow (with lots of Aussie content)
  • Other minor studios (eg. StudioCanal, Madman Films, Icon) may also either have streaming services of their own or buddy up with any of the above.
2 Likes
  • More likely to see 7 team up with someone.
  • Dreamworks are likely to go with Universal, seeing as Universal is a partial owner of Dreamworks/Amblin, and owns Dreamworks Animation (there is a difference)
  • I could see HBO Max go direct if Foxtel dies in the arse or doesn’t renew
  • Depends how good Nine’s deal with NBC Universal is, but this is a remote possibility
  • Roadshow more than likely to deal with another company, as they are basically independent without the Warner deal, possibly team up with StudioCanal, Madman, etc…

I’d like to see an Aussie version of PlutoTV with all networks represented.
Also, a new all Aussie service with stuff from Crawfords and Fremantle (Grundy, etc) would be a good one.

Tricky as their titles are handled by two different studios Paramount and NBC-U (the latter for animation).

7 have already done this and failed badly. Let’s say they do it though? Predictions on how it would work? Would it basically going to be another Stan?

Has this started yet? Or are they still talking about it?

1 Like

It is launching later this year.

1 Like

I’ll tell you guys about the dream I had about an Aussie version of Pluto TV.

I imagined it had similar channels to the US and UK service, but also had all of the FTA services as well, including regional stations with localised ads and the VAST local news channels reformatted like this, all on a loop:

• 7 Brisbane + Queensland
  • 9 Brisbane + Queensland
  • 10 Brisbane + WIN Queensland
  • NBN Northern NSW
  • 9 Sydney + Southern NSW/ACT
  • 7 Sydney + Prime NSW
  • 10 Sydney + WIN Southern NSW/ACT
  • 7 Melbourne + Prime Albury + 7 Tasmania
  • 9 Melbourne + Regional Victoria
  • 10 Melbourne + WIN Victoria + Tasmania
  • 7 Adelaide + 7 GTS/BKN
  • 9 Adelaide + Perth + Darwin
  • 10 Adelaide + Perth

Sort of similar to the CBSN local channels they carry at the moment, but obviously not live.

It also had an all-Aussie channel, made up of shows from the Crawfords and Fremantle archives. It also had an all-ABC classics channel too.

Obviously this won’t happen, but I’d like to see an Aussie PlutoTV with elements of Stirr mixed in.

1 Like

This is from AT&T TV . Due to copyright issues I can’t screenshot vision.

1 Like

I think you’ve missed a few such as Samsung’s offering, Crunchy Roll, etc. and it’s Apple TV+ (as opposed to the name of their device & app, confusing branding).

2 Likes
2 Likes

I already have Stan Sport, Foxtel Satellite and IQ4 as well as a Fetch TV box to record Premier League matches and FTA TV shows.

Won’t add another streaming service

3 Likes

Stan Sport hasn’t started.

4 Likes

Netflix, Disney+ and HBO Max have all done away with free trials recently and the moves call into question how much longer the sneak peek will remain a standard user acquisition tool.

The official home of Serbian rugby league can now boast the rights to the UEFA champions league. :joy:

Yet another streaming service called sports flick. It’s also the home of Indian baseball.

2 Likes

Wow. That’s massive.

The service isn’t available to Fetch TV boxes as of yet

1 Like

The business and contact address is the CEO and majority shareholder’s house in Riverstone. It’s a new house, so I’m guessing he doesn’t have a basement where he has the server. It appears to be a very small company. Other shareholders include a relative, the company accountant and a smash repair business. Have to wonder how they are funding this.

1 Like

I’m almost guessing they’ll end up going under, either from the cash side of things, or the backlash when it doesn’t work. I certainly won’t be paying for it: I can get it elsewhere.

1 Like

If it’s Riverstone, it’ll be through illegal means. :rofl:

1 Like