The increasingly crowded streaming market

I think there’s a Disney event overnight tonight (timing may be wrong) that might clarify their plans around this.

2 Likes

My thinking would be they’d want to expand Hulu internationally, and make it the non-family friendly version of Disney+. To me, that make sense, once you get around who has the rights to content and force those to expire, not renew and grab those back.

I knew the studios would effectively soon go direct to consumer.

2 Likes

read earlier in this post, Disney plans to launch its non-family streaming service “Star” sometime in 2021. It will be the new streaming home of Touchstone and 20th Century Studios (nee Fox).

4 Likes

3 Likes

Wasn’t it the Asian brand?

2 Likes

Yes but there are suggestions this is the brand which will go international rather than Hulu being expanded internationally.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I take it Star India will get rebranded to prevent any small chance of confusion?

Mind you, I thought Hulu would be the better bet, but hey, I’m not a multi-national goliath. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If Foxtel hadn’t got rid of Austar, Disney might’ve had trouble with that brand in Aus too.

1 Like

That’s not what I heard.

2 Likes

I’m fat but not that fat.

2 Likes

Chairman of Disney’s Media and Entertainment Distribution, Kareem Daniels, said at the company’s investor day event that Star would be launched outside the US but in different ways. In Latin America, the company plans to launch a standalone Star+ service, while a new Star section in the Disney+ app will become the home to “general entertainment” content in other markets like Europe.

2 Likes

according to the disney+facebook page, star launches in many international markets on February 23, 2021.

Unlike Hulu, it wouldn’t offer live TV and would only contain content owned by Disney.

3 Likes

The official Star streaming logo
Untitled

Compare it with Star India (pay TV service) logo - Star India is also owned by Disney
200px-Star_Television_logo.svg

2 Likes

signed up for britbox trial and cancelled it.

mainly signed up for The Bill, but they only have the first 2 seasons. I was hoping all 26 seasons would be there

2 Likes

yikes, Disney really knows how to beat a dead horse don’t they…

Good article here on TVB, mentions a lot, but shows just how cluttered the local market will be within months let alone years and the potentially fatal rights changes resulting from new streamers

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons why Foxtel is desperate to make as much of its own exclusive content as it can. Not too sure how well that’s going…

1 Like