The increasingly crowded streaming market

Apropos of nothing…

does anyone else think I’m weird thinking having 2,500 streaming channels on my TV and Chromecast dongle is a good thing? Mind you, a lot of these are duplicates, foreign language versions of each other, and geo-restricted?

2 Likes

Yes.

I thought I had issues keeping almost 150 streaming channels on my device when I really only use four or five of them regularly. That’s after I did a major cull a few months ago. A lot of them are niche interest channels or contain really old movies I’m never likely to watch. A bit like the books I keep around but I’m never likely to pick up again.

1 Like

yes. i only have stan netflix and amazon prime

Before this post or after… :stuck_out_tongue:

At the moment, I am creating a homebrew M3U list with the channels I watch the most - mainly the news, some sport, Nosey (that’s Jerry Springer et al), non-stop channels of Bob Ross (LEGEND), Inspector Gadget, Mythbusters, McLeods Daughters, Rifftrax and MST3K and others.

I’m not referring to just Netflix and Amazon Prime…although I have both, along with Stan, Binge, Apple TV+, Kayo and Disney+.

I have been off injured and about to go onto workers comp, and to pass the time (i.e. stop the demons from completely taking over my brain) I’ve been experimenting with Kodi and some add-ons. Came across PlutoTV and Stirr add-ons, plus some additional M3U8 files with some legal streams.

1 Like

let me know how kodi works. been looking at it for streaming live tv

Kodi works fine, however you do have to go in and know how to add repositories. That’s how I got the Stirr and PlutoTV stuff. I won’t add a link here as it is a bit of a grey area. I’ve also used it to stream local FTA TV as the only room in the house with a aerial cord is my living room and my bedroom is upstairs.

There are a few things I’d like to add to the homebrew M3U file -

• A feed for Ticker (I can’t find the URL)
  • Feeds of NSW and Federal government proceedings (I’m a sadist) (I can’t find the URLs)
  • A YouTube playlist of favourite videos on an ongoing shuffle. Stuff like Ashens, Techmoan, Barry Lewis, LGR, etc.
  • Sky News on WIN - for a laugh

I’m only signed up to Britbox for Spitting Image will cancel when the last episode is up.

I’m still happy with Netflix, Stan , Prime and Amazon, Atvplus and D+.

1 Like

whats atvplus?

Apple TV plus?

Lol sorry just got sick of writing it out in full, yes Apple TV+

Yet you typed out “plus” instead of “ATV+” :wink:

4 Likes

Discovery+ debuted in UK last month and will launch in the US in January 2021, before it is rolled out to more than 25 markets including the Nordics, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain. It’s not known at this stage if it will come to Australia.

Does anyone know anything about this new streaming service? SportsFlick.

2 Likes

This is the best information I’ve seen on this so far. Not too sure why. but there Insta is saying it launched back in July 2019 but according to this it only launched lased month? Maby a very long beta test?

1 Like

Sportsflick has been operating LIVE for about a year if I remember correctly.

I produce a wrestling show each month (FWA) & we use them to stream through.

They are a great service & owners are awesome as well!

1 Like

Have they been operating fully? I’ve so far heard they launched 3 years ago (probably wrong) last year and last month. So was last years launch just a soft beta launch?

1 Like

Definitely didn’t launch 3 years ago, I haven’t asked too many questions but they have definitely been ACTIVE/LIVE since we came on board early last year.

There still growing as you guys can see, so the more support/awareness the better!

If any of you guys do sign up, check out our next FWA Show on the 19th :smiley:

1 Like

Why are they so defiant?

Haha auto correct! Should both be “definitely”

Wish Australia could get Disney’s Hulu, because Disney+ doesn’t have heaps of Disney content which is instead on Hulu (for older audiences).

Stan was carrying a lot of that, but I don’t think they have it anymore?

NB/ Interestingly, I’d imagine Disney wouldn’t want to licence much of their premier ‘Walt Disney’ stuff to TV networks to ensure Disney+ growth continues (as we saw Nine stopped airing Disney the same time as they lost Walt Disney from Stan and Disney+ launched and last week’s “Frozen” on Seven an exception as those titles are lapsing from an old deal). However, as mentioned, Seven seem to have struck a deal recently to get rights back to older audience (Touchstone etc) titles as seen with “Ransom”, “The Rock” and this week “Flightplan”. So maybe in this territory it was a way of ensuring all their content is accessible somehow (i.e.) if currently in limbo not on a streamer.

2 Likes