The increasingly crowded streaming market

https://www.c21media.net/itv-to-invest-12-6m-in-britbox-oz/

ITV’s announcement to the London Stock Exchange yesterday (August 20):

On 19 August 2020 ITV SVOD Australia Pty Ltd, a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of ITV plc, agreed to invest AUD 17.7 million in The BritBox Australia Partnership (“BritBox Australia”) over a period of three years. Consistent with ITV’s plans for expansion, BritBox Australia is on track to launch in the Autumn. BritBox Australia is a 50:50 joint venture partnership established in Australia with BBC Studios to launch and operate a subscription video-on-demand service branded “BritBox” in Australia, which will deliver primarily British content. BBC Studios will be providing equal funding. ITV’s share of total joint venture losses/profits will be recognised within results from JVs and Associates.

I’m eventually gonna give up a few of my subscriptions. It’s just unsustainable to keep the ones that have locally and internationally. So many , but need to decide which one I access more.

1 Like

we had all of Netflix, Stan and Disney+ at one stage but we do cancel and re-join from time to time. At the moment we’ve just let them all lapse but will sign up again should there be anything we particularly want to see. It’s just not sustainable to keep them going indefinitely

Britbox could be interesting but it would depend what sort of back catalogue it has, if any.

3 Likes

Well i have used both the uk and us version of BritBox the catalogue isn’t much different to each other lots of classic comedy, current comedy, drama and game shows

So far I have
Net Flix
Now TV (UK Subcription)
Youtube TV (Will be paused from 28th of August)
Sling (appears to be the cheapest, without the local networks, and has MLB Network)
Disney +
Cross Flix (Christian Streaming service) - One I must keep.

The others I guess i have to do pro and con list.

1 Like

A new French-language streaming platform was launched on Wednesday this week. TV5MondePlus was conceived by French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. More than 3,000 hours of programs and movies are available for free, with subtitles in five languages (French, English, German, Spanish and Arabic).

Promo:

1 Like
1 Like

New streaming service Femflix is launching in Australia this weekend. It carries features, documentaries, miniseries and shortform content celebrating female-centric storytelling.

Yikes. Not sure about that name. It sounds like either a feminine hygiene product or a vulgar sexual term.

7 Likes

I was incorrect, Femflix was launched this week and there is a free 30-day trial.

Well it didn’t last long, closing down after just six months.
5 Likes

A case study in what can happen when a group of boomers makes a streaming service that they think will appeal to millennials / zoomers.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Why though, what on earth is there to watch on that? I find Christian movies always pander to the lowest denominator.

3 Likes
3 Likes

My dad this morning was asking me how to get rid of these channels that just popped up .

3 Likes
2 Likes