The Front Bar

9 Likes
1 Like

It’s now March 20, the night before the AFL season opener.

2 Likes

Mick Malthouse is special guest on Wednesday’s season premiere.
The episode will air on 7mate in Sydney and Brisbane at 10.30pm, however it is streaming nationwide via a pop-up channel on 7plus from 9pm AEDT.

EDIT: new opener and graphics for the first episode of the year.

1 Like

Funny as episode tonight! Some subtle changes, delivered on promos well. Kudos to producers.

Will be checking out the new Footy Show on 9Now.

1 Like

Front Bar host Mick Molloy was the ring-leader of the attack, as he publicly called Lyon out, saying unless he accepted an invite to appear on the show, he’d repeatedly show embarrassing footage of the AFL great hosting AFL Squadron back in the day.

(Garry Lyon revealed on SEN breakfast) he had actually offered to appear on the show but was knocked back by the Front Bar team who simply wanted an excuse to continually show the hilarious old footage.

1 Like

Tonight’s episode is a good example of the show being too Melbourne centric. WA football legend Ross Glendinning was special guest. The panel spent a lot of time talking about his time in Melbourne, including playing for North Melbourne in the first half of 1980s (winning the Brownlow Medal in 1983). The panel only briefly mentioned Ross’ role in WA’s win over Victoria in the 1986 State of Origin at Subiaco and the Ross Glendinning Medal controversy in 2003 when Ross announced Michael Gardiner as the winner when another player was supposed to win. Ross’ time at West Coast was simply omitted. When the episode airs in WA later tonight, local viewers may feel hard done by.

4 Likes

Don’t see a huge issue tbh.

That is because you support a Melbourne based team and live in Melbourne. Would you have an issue if the show just discussed interstate teams?

2 Likes

Im from Sydney, and watch the show late over on 7Mate, and i have no issue with the show at all. Even though they never mention any Sydney (or Queensland) teams.

1 Like

If the guest is from outside Victoria and has played for a non-Victorian club, I wanted to hear about his time at that club. Former Swans champion and Brownlow medallist Paul Kelly will be on the show next week.

2 Likes

Neither do I to be honest. I get my Port Adelaide fix elsewhere. However, in Adelaide and Perth the show doesn’t do as well as other 7 shows do. That was my point. Obviously viewers in those states are turned off from that. If 7 just want a show doing well in Melbourne then that is fine. You can attract huge profits from that. I was just pointing out that there is an obvious deterrence in those states and the probable reason is because it is Melbourne heavy.

2 Likes
1 Like

This week’s special guest is Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley, straight from the Anzac Day clash against Essendon at the MCG. Also from this week, the show will be shown on main channel in NSW, ACT and QLD.

1 Like

I’m guessing the only reason Seven didn’t schedule and promote The Front Bar for tonight, is because they wanted a good national launch for Interview?

Though will probably do as well, if not better following the Anzac Day clash Thursday night.

1 Like

Think it’s to establish Thursday as the show’s ‘home’ for the rest of the season (aside from a few weeks in June when a few more Thursday night games will be played).

It would have been too messy for the show to go from airing on Wednesday last week to (hypothetically) tonight only to then move to Thursday next week

2 Likes

I only saw one ad for the show during MKR tonight, that’s how I found out Buckley would be on Thursday’s episode.

1 Like

Tonight’s episode finished at 9:53pm (live), 19min overtime to EPG schedule (9:34pm).

Pushing “The Latest” to around 11pm. I have another comment about this, but I’ll comment in that thread.

1 Like

It’s rating very well so Seven wouldn’t mind it running overtime.

5 Likes

Still having a laugh every week and bucks was ok

5 Likes