The Front Bar

He got sacked, remember?

Yep. I was just joking if anyone thought I was going crazy.

The only reason why I mentioned him was the fact that a lot of people we hoped to never see on TV again somehow miraculously pops back on again after some time.

4 Likes

I think it’s clear from last night’s ratings that the show won’t air live on 7mate in NSW & QLD next year. At best, it’ll air a bit earlier than midnight but fans of the show in those states probably have to settle for the 7plus live stream

3 Likes

It depends on whether the Cricket version does well…

A cricket version would naturally do better than an AFL version in the states mentioned since the latter’s support base is mostly in VIC, SA & WA

1 Like

If, not when…

There has been no confirmation from what I’ve seen. Just consideration at this stage.

Near the end of last night’s grand final edition, Andy Maher announced there would be a special Melbourne Cup edition on Thursday November 1. The show has covered the AFL, Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games, so why not horse racing?

3 Likes

Surprised they’re going to the effort since this is the last race 7 will air.

I’m sure they said that the next episode is in 3 weeks, just prior to the Caulfield Cup?
If so, 7 still have the rights to that post 2018.

It will still be (as we bizarrely found out) live on Seven’s racing.com channel.

Seven have the rights to the other Victorian events outside of the Melbourne Cup Carnival (eg; the Caulfield Cup & the Cox Plate) until June 2020

Read what I said. I said 7 still have the rights to that (Caulfield Cup) post 2018. I knew it was June 2020 but didn’t see the need to put that in a Front Bar conversation. My point was, I thought it was mentioned that the show was back before the Caulfield Cup, not the Melbourne Cup as mentioned a bit higher up.

3 Likes

The Front Bar: Melbourne Cup

Thursday 1 November at 8:30 PM

2 Likes

The Front Bar is confirmed to be returning in 2019 at the Seven All Fronts today. And judging by this synopsis, a cricket version may be imminent…

1 Like

Apparently this was planned but the stumbling block was that Cricket Australia signed a beer partnership with Lion Nathan/XXXX whereas the show is backed by Carlton and United Breweries.

2 Likes

Heard a promo on 3AW this morning. Special guests are Bruce McAvaney, Francesca Cumani, Damien Oliver and Tony Santic, owner of three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva.

Wow… look familiar? As seen on Talking Fishing on c31 here in Melbourne, (A very poorly made rip off… looks like a green screen but seems the items are physical and some are printed onto panels to look like doors etc)
My understanding is that this show is produced by David Kramer and not C31, so interesting they have gone to copy the Front bar…

9 Likes

There was a post about this I think last year?

Good luck to them.

1 Like

Oh that’s right, CUB used to have the CA contract for a long time didn’t they.

Could the argument not be made from Seven, that it has long been the sponsor of the show and therefore isn’t specifically sponsoring cricket? It is a tad awkward though.