The Footy Show (NRL)

Yes - but that was their expectation at the time (Lisa continuing on Today). Surely the NRL Footy Show axing had been decided before the up-fronts.

That Fairfax report has changed its headline to “Channel Nine dumps Paul Vautin from The Footy Show after 24 years on air”. It seems The Footy Show may continue next year but with new name, format and/or presenters.

1 Like

WRONG - it’s being expanded to Monday, Thursday and Sunday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fatty-axed-from-nrl-footy-show-as-channel-nine-revamps-format/news-story/2d77d716bd3a1408706459568d62182b

1 Like

Oh well, the axing of Paul Vautin from the show is still pretty good.

Hopefully all other presenters are replaced for 2018 as well.

4 Likes

“new name, format and/or presenters” - sounds like a new show :slightly_smiling_face: only the channel is the same.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Shows still have reviews etc to go through. It’s easier to just include it in material at upfronts than leave it out and invite questions.

I’m one of only a mere few it seems but I’m truly saddened to hear this news. Fatty’s been a loyal host of the show for 24 years, to see it end like this is a real shame.

4 Likes

Notice the headline says the show is axed but the actual article says at this stage it is only Paul Vautin that’s confirmed gone. Wouldn’t be click bait by SMH surely :thinking:

2 Likes

Could the new Monday night program be on at 7:30 (on 9Gem?) if the plan is to compete with Matty Johns on Fox Sports?

1 Like

There was definitely a different version of the story there earlier.

The original headline said:
Channel Nine axe The Footy Show after 24 years on air
The show has been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Erin Molan.

They now say:
Paul Vautin out of The Footy Show with show under a cloud after 24 years on air
There was confusion on Tuesday over whether the show had been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Vautin’s co-host Erin Molan with more of a focus on football.

This could explain that “new Monday night NRL program” (to coincide with Footy Classified) that was announced at Nine’s upfronts?

A huge tip on Twitter. :smiley:

2 Likes

You wouldn’t be able to get away with having characters like “Mahatma Coat” on TV these days.

Probably the last time I saw the jockey Allan Robinson anywhere on TV was on a cringeworthy local Newcastle commercial or two - probably safe to say that his career doing football shows is well and truly over!

2 Likes

Vautin has been woeful for years. About time he got the boot. He was hopeless. That show was pathetic. I’m sure a normal panel post game show will be more than a worthy replacement.

Good to see some drama at nine.

4 Likes

The people who voted it to win the most popular sport show Logie for five straight years would beg to differ.

Never understood that. But Logie voting is always weird.

Is The Nrl footy show axed? I’m not sure whether it’s the dwindling ratings this year or the number of years on air.

mixed reports. the lastest reports are it is still on, scaled back to one hour with erin molan as host

As well as Fatty being axed from the show, it’s been confirmed that Darryl “The Big Marn” Brohman won’t be part of the show next year, presumably choosing to focus on being a member of 2GB’s Continuous Call Team and advertising clothing for Lowes instead:

Does anyone know about Beau Ryan’s status with The NRL Footy Show or it’s 2018 replacement? Because I really hope he won’t be part of it, just embarrassing to watch.

1 Like

Good. Now get rid of Beau “Knows Nothing” Ryan, and then the show itself.

One of the greatest pleasures I’ve ever had was at a Knights vs Tigers home game. Beau was sent off and he had to pass a whole lot of fans to get to the away sheds. This was around the same time he had that whole Doggies thing with the hands to the crotch crap. I stood up and did that joke to him, replaced the word Doggies with Sin Bin. Best laugh I and a lot of people in that bay had for a long long time. :laughing:

4 Likes