The Footy Show (NRL)

Yep, pretty much.

By the last few years, you wondered how long it would be until The NRL Footy Show resorted to lamely parodying higher rating shows such as Peppa Pig, Shaun The Sheep and Gogglebox in a bid to get attention/viewers.

Well what can they do when everyone is offended over everything now? We can’t have any live variety shows.

2 Likes

It’s mainly because a lot of their lame attempts at ‘jokes’ weren’t even remotely funny or came off as extremely unoriginal or tasteless.

1 Like

Yep, I agree.

I’d be far more willing to cite the rise of Thursday Night Football as a major reason for Nine axing The Footy Show than either “cancel culture” or Erin Molan.

When they made Andrew Voss co-host, that was the start of the decline. Terrible decision.

Danika Mason is hosting today’s Sunday Footy Show from Leichhardt Oval, instead of the studio. Panellists are Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns and Sam Thaiday.

Congrats to Danika for hosting the show today for the first time. She has been a great addition to the show over the last year or two as reporter and has done a good job on Sunday Afternoon NRL as a host and reporter too

6 Likes

Probably cause Erin has bigger things to deal with

3 Likes

I noticed this on YouTube. Craig McLachlan’s first attempt at doing a stand-up comedy routine, on The Footy Show in 2005. It is unintentionally hilarious.

3 Likes

“If I go on The Footy Show, maybe I’ll eventually get a successful comedy career like Carl Barron and Tahir Bilgic did!” - What I’d imagine Craig McLaughlin was hoping to get out of this now infamous moment in Australian television…

I personally found the crowd heckling hilarious. Craig’s actual “jokes”, not so much! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I feel like if they gave people like The Big Marn and Beau more freedom to talk about the games, instead of focusing on low budget entertainment, than the show may have been better (in the later years) Honestly, The Big Marn and the ridiculous amount of fat jokes was just disheartening to watch. Just leave the poor bloke alone.

This is just my two cents. If anyone wants me to take down my comment because it’s an unused thread, I won’t hesitate to do so.

1 Like

I haven’t missed the Footy Show one iota.

3 Likes

Neither have I. I was just discussing what could’ve improved the show before its eventual demise.

1 Like

Although (the Thursday Night version of) The NRL Footy Show probably should’ve been cancelled no later than 2008, the final nail in the coffin surely would’ve been the launch of Thursday Night Football in 2013?

1 Like

Damn, Thursday Night Footy only began in 2013? I thought it began earlier. I’d say 2014-onwards was the true downslide of the show. 2013 was a somewhat decent year.

They could have moved it to Wednesday nights … But the show had been on a long slow downward spiral well before then. The cross dressing and other gags wore off very quickly for me when the show first launched in 1994 (?).

1 Like

The footy show was the TV version of being out with your mates at 3am on a saturday. You’ve been on the piss since 5pm the previous night, The only sober voice of reason has gone home as his missus has been calling since 10pm and now no one is around to tell you that jumping off the railing into sydney harbour is not a great idea

3 Likes

The final Sunday Footy Show for the year wrapped up just moments ago. There was a tribute to Peter Sterling towards the end of the show, as he is retiring from Channel Nine after nearly 30 years. He spoke about Nine with great regards overall.

He spoke about the Thursday Footy Show and its beginnings. He said he was hesitant at the start, as he wanted to do more of the serious stuff, but the jokes and silliness grew on him quickly and enjoyed doing it alongside Paul Vautin. He moved on to do commentary and work on The Sunday Footy Show. He acknowledged that people may watch the Sunday version in parts as it is an “effort” to watch the two hours of the show week in week out.

Was a nice tribute to Sterlo.

6 Likes

At the end of the show, a tribute to Peter Sterling was being shown. Peter Sterling had a wonderful career at the Nine Network after 30 years. Congratulations on a wonderful career, Peter. You will be missed by not just Erin Molan, but the entire Wide World of Sports team.

I bet he got told to say that.

I don’t think anyone really thinks that, it’s stuff best forgotten. I cringed a bit when I saw it.

1 Like