The Footy Show (NRL)

Oops.

Erin Molan has signed a new three-year deal with Nine, even though she lost her job as host of NRL Footy Show. Molan handled the contract negotiations herself.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/erin-molan-resigns-to-nine-with-bigmoney-three-year-contract/news-story/0ff1183c153cf8e0c7f8417635a24816

Still going on

1 Like

It’s pointless to aim the blame at Erin alone. The show was already down the crapper when she arrived on the scene. Should’ve cancelled it at least 4-5 years ago, at least!

5 Likes

I’m not sure what value Nine sees in her. She’s a perfectly adequate reporter and presenter but I wouldn’t value her more highly than some of the other talent Nine already has on their books. She certainly isn’t in the same league as Yvonne Sampson and Nine stupidly let her go to Fox.

6 Likes
2 Likes

It wasn’t Erin’s fault. It was the Channel 9 brass’s call.

It was going to be a poison challis.

Like Hey Hey It’s Saturday it had run it’s course.

3 Likes

I personally think it’d be unfair to blame Erin Molan for the death of The NRL Footy Show, especially when she’s still used to present various Wide World of Sports telecasts and is still the main Sports presenter of Nine News Sydney after Cameron Williams.

If we’re being realistic, The NRL Footy Show had been slowly declining over the course of a decade or more. It was still doing fairly well as recently as 2004, maybe 2005. The writing was on the wall when Sterlo and The Chief left, but I think it never really recovered after the circumstances which lead to Matthew Johns (who’s media career seems to have recovered reasonably well at Fox Sports/League in recent years) ending his association with the Nine Network in 2009.

4 Likes

It’s decline has been somewhat similar to the AFL Footy Show. The decline in popularity of key personnel (eg. Sam Newman as with Matty Johns but for different reasons) has certainly been a factor for both shows.

But I think audiences just grew tired of a worn format that couldn’t really evolve.

3 Likes

The Sunday NRL Footy Show has aired the last few weeks.

This morning, Erin Molan was the host, with Peter Sterling and Paul Gallen as panellists. She said that Brad Fittler had “the man flu” and unable to be there either.

The show aired for a few minutes, before going to Scott Morrison’s press conference. The conference has just finished, and Nine didn’t return to The Footy Show. They went to Women’s Footy (Show), as scheduled on at 12pm.

Cant see The Sunday Footy Show returning next week?

This is going to look dumb when it comes out in a week that he has The Rona.

1 Like

They have put the episode on 9now in full. So I guess they kept recording which is good.

1 Like

That’s different.
Glad they kept recording.

2 Likes

Nine should bring back The Footy Show with Fat & Erin (like the old days). They could have Paul Gallen and others on the panel.

They could record it live on the performance studio at Nine North Sydney.

1 Like

Those days have come and gone.

6 Likes

Agreed. Both versions of The Footy Show (on Thursday nights) were at least a decade past their use by date when they were finally axed!

2 Likes

The ratings would suggest otherwise. It rated so poorly in the NRL markets before its demise.

3 Likes

The reason why it started to rate poorly was because Fat left the show and it was only (Erin) hosting. That was a big turn off by the viewers. The whole comedy of the show was lost after the revamp.

2 Likes

A lot of people, for some reason, didn’t like Erin, and blame her solely for the show’s decline. Fact is, the Show was already dead by the time she got on it.

7 Likes