The Footy Show (NRL)

Wonderful decision from Nine. The show had a great run but the results do not make another season viable. Audiences have switched off from it and alternatives are needed.

4 Likes

Yes, yes. For the love of God, YES!!!

I will say that although it’s of course sad for the people who’ll lose their jobs as a result of the Thursday night version (Sunday version will remain on air, but I don’t really have any problems with that since The Sunday Footy Show actually seems to talk about football) of The NRL Footy Show being axed, not too many TV programs make it to a quarter of a century on the air.

Rugby League (like most sports) in Australia will hopefully be around long after we’re all gone, but most television shows will come to an end at some point. If Nine wants their NRL coverage to evolve in a positive way, the decision to axe The NRL Footy Show is ultimately the right one IMO.

2 Likes

Yeah The Sunday Footy Show is a different beast

2 Likes

I don’t know what they expect. Having the games on Thursday night meant some times the show was relugated to 10pm start time and how they gonna get ratings then?

1 Like

This decision also gives them an opportunity to build something fresh with Sam Thaiday, Billy Slater, Jonathan Thurston all retired now and likely to be a part of at least one of the new shows.

6 Likes

About time.

2 Likes

FINALLY!!!

The show that has been rating terribly for the last decade, and have found next to no good feedback in that time too… has been axed. What took Nine so long to get rid of it?

3 Likes

4 (or maybe more) Logie Awards would do that…

1 Like
1 Like

What now for Erin.

I reckon 7 or 10 should take her. 10 News?

Erin Molan is already the 2nd in-line Sports Presenter for Nine News Sydney and if this is anything to go by, she’s definitely staying with “Team Nine” in 2019:

As for the other presenters…

*Andrew Johns will likely still be a part of Nine’s NRL Coverage and maybe The Sunday Footy Show/100% Footy?
*Darryl “The Big Marn” Brohman (who’s only contribution to The Footy Show in 2018 was the “Small Talk” segment IIRC) will be kept busy with his commitments to 2GB and being ambassador for Lowes’ “Big Mens” clothing range.
*Ryan Girdler might still be on Triple M?
*No idea about Beau Ryan, but with his filling in for Kyle Sandilands a few months back I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Beau has “Sydney FM breakfast radio” presenter as a future ambition.

6 Likes

The worst segments ever of the NRL Footy Show were those featuring this guy. He was never funny, only getting on as he was mates with Vautin.

3 Likes

Yep, that was more embarrassing than funny.

Probably the last time I saw Allan Robinson anywhere on TV, he was flogging Cardiff Toyota…

He is (or was) also the face of television commercials for Singo’s Meats in Newcastle, something which I’ve only seen once or twice before. Wouldn’t overly surprise me if that jockey has featured in some other cheap local ads on TV up there.

3 Likes

he was actually a bloody Newcastle City councillor for several years. No joke. Ran as an independent and for some inexplicable reason, enough idiots - err constituents - voted for the dill.

3 Likes

From the WWOS article linked above your post:

Erin and Bec will be great for Tennis.

He wouldnt do any worse than half the senators that managed to get into Federal Parliament…

As for this show, certainly the Thursday night game killed it off, and it seemed to me that whilst plenty of sponsors kept the AFL show on, only Sportsbet were around to make the show semi viable from a financial sense from the limited shows I’ve seen in recent years. I guess the lack of corporate backing would have had some impact, even if it was relatively smal.

2 Likes

Beau Ryan has broken his silence about the end of the NRL Footy Show.

1 Like

He was told on Tuesday and was interviewed on KIIS on Wednesday. He wasn’t silent for very long. The media need to stop using headlines proclaiming that someone has “broken their silence”. It’s usually a rubbish headline that means nothing.

5 Likes

I think it was Shoudy who used that line, not the article.