The Footy Show (NRL)

Interesting to see The Footy Show are taking expressions of interest for audience tickets to the show for 2019. Surely, if it’s even back at all, there would have to be a significant shake up again to the format and panel…

1 Like

If The NRL Footy Show does somehow return for 2019, knowing Nine I reckon there’ll probably be more than a half decent chance of Paul “Fatty” Vautin being brought back in a bid to improve falling ratings.

But personally I think the Thursday night edition needs to be axed for good. Keep The Sunday Footy Show and 100% Footy, maybe do a short 30-60 minute program after Thursday Night Football (when it’s on, of course) which can incorporate post-match analysis and previews of the other games coming up that round but that’s it.

5 Likes

A extended one hour preview show on 9Gem before the Thursday and Friday night games would be a good idea I think too.

1 Like

You have summed it up perfectly.

Id also keep the Sunday Footy Show and 100% Footy as they are. Not much fault with these shows.

Id get rid of the Thursday Footy Show, which most have been saying for some time now. Id have a post game coverage on Thursday Night Footy (when they show it of course), just like what they do on the Friday Night Footy. A 30 minute-or-so segment, where they do some player interviews, have a post game analysis, and show some coaches press conference. Simple.

2 Likes

Judging by last night’s ratings, probably safe to say that The NRL Footy Show (at least in the format Nine ran with this year) will not be returning in 2019?

Even after taking into consideration that the hype of a Roosters/Storm GF probably doesn’t have much viewer appeal outside the support base of both teams, surely it can’t be a good sign for the future of The NRL Footy Show when a Grand Final edition gets smashed by Gogglebox in Sydney & Brisbane? Worse when you consider that program is shown a day earlier on Foxtel and that both markets likely make up a decent chunk of Lifestyle’s ratings for Gogglebox.

Regardless, I’m probably still going to stand by my long held opinion that The NRL Footy Show should’ve been axed a decade or more ago, probably when either Peter Sterling or Paul Harragon decided to call it quits. As @yellow_sock said in 2016…

*The Footy Show was great back in the 1990s with Fatty, Sterlo, Hadley & Blocker.
*The Footy Show was good during the 2000s - particularly the first half of the decade - with Fatty Sterlo, The Chief, Matty & Vossy.
*The Footy Show unfortunately, has gone downhill this decade with Erin Molan (who’s great on Nine News and should stick to that IMO) and Beau “Knows Nothing” Ryan.

Darryl Brohman’s “Small Talk” segment gives him a pass mark, but I don’t think there’s really been anything on the level of the Paul Harragon-era “That’s Gold” or even Andrew Voss’ “Stuff you may have missed” segment for a while now despite Nine attempting to revive one or both of those ideas with Erin Molan at the helm in recent years. Granted that neither segment was entirely NRL-related, but “That’s Gold” at least was fairly big for a while and gave some decent publicity for the show!

2 Likes

But how did they pack stadiums for their finale each year if no one watches? Who has the rating boxes? It’s a shame we didn’t get to see the players revue this year like the AFL one. They are always the best part.

NRL Footy Show has been axed.

2 Likes

that’s what they said last year…haha.

https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/1046943495825629184

CHANNEL Nine has dumped its ailing program, The Footy Show, after another year of disastrous ratings.

The network had hoped to reinvent the iconic Thursday show when presenter Erin Molan took over this year from Paul “Fatty” Vautin, who hosted the show for the previous 24 years.

Molan is in current negotiations with Channel Nine over a new contract for other news hosting roles at the station.

Channel Nine is likely to keep its late night Monday show 100% Footy hosted by James Bracey and star panellist Phil Gould.

1 Like

A postgame show with James Bracey makes more sense now.

Nine today announced The NRL Footy Show will not return next year, as it revolutionises its coverage of rugby league in 2019.

Nine’s Director of Sport Tom Malone said: "It’s been an incredible ride for The Footy Show . A quarter of a century of laughs, controversy and first-class footy analysis. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this amazing era of live sports-entertainment television – from producers, editors, camera operators, the players, guests and of course the legendary hosts.

“Fatty holds the record for the longest serving host of any prime time Australian TV show – a tribute to both his understanding of the game, his authenticity, and not to mention his incredible comedic timing. In recent years, Erin has equally brought a new energy, perspective and showed her passion for the game.”

This year Fatty has already made the transition back into the commentary box, and Nine confirms Erin will be joining the Wide World of Sports team to help lead the coverage of rugby league, netball, tennis and cricket.

Malone said: “Erin is a star and a great broadcaster. She’s going to take an even more prominent role on Nine’s sports broadcasts going forward.”

Wide World of Sports will launch a whole new look, feel and sound to its rugby league coverage in 2019, including two new post-match shows to follow Thursday Night Football and Friday Night Football, with a strong emphasis of being at the ground, and interacting with players, fans and coaches.

3 Likes

The fact that when Erin signed off she didn’t say we’ll see you next year but just “We’ll see you soon” reading between the lines. But the writing has been on the wall for a while.

3 Likes

I wonder they didn’t address the future of the AFL version in the same press release…

About bloody time.

4 Likes

I felt something was odd when last Thursday’s grand final edition was held in the studio rather than a large venue in previous years. The competing teams only sent in the coach and key players and there was no player revue.
The NRL Footy Show had its funny moments (like the Anti-Ad) but I always think it was a poor cousin to the AFL version.

1 Like

A great show when it first began. This decision is at least 10 years overdue though.

4 Likes

While this news comes as no surprise, it’s the end of what has been a bloody terrific show for the most part of its 25 year run.

Highly unlikely I know, but I’d like to see a ‘farewell’ type show with Fatty and some of the old crew looking back at the show over the years.

6 Likes

It was The NRL Footy Show in name only this year. The show has been on life support for the last 5 years so I don’t think too many will be upset.

2 Likes

Not surprised.

Maybe wait 5-10 years then do a Hey Hey style reunion show?

1 Like