The Footy Show (NRL)

Scandalous allegations.

NINE issues a statement

Nine: “It has nothing to do with her”
“What is happening between Anthony Bell and Kelly Landry in court is incredibly sad, both for them and their young children. However we are very disappointed that Erin’s name has been unfairly dragged into the family dispute. It has absolutely nothing to do with her. Erin’s relationship with Anthony Bell has only ever been strictly professional, both as a client and a crew member on Perpetual Loyal. Erin has never had any intimate relationship with Anthony Bell. Allegations to the contrary are false, offensive and defamatory.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-news-sport-and-weather-landry-live-blog/news-story/31a25806e0e432dd6dbbc7749493ba31

What happened to the last ad break? Never happened (at least on 9now). 3 minutes of audio from the studio.

Fatty just referred to TCN 9… “here at the TCN 9 studios”.

and…

This has been discussed on Media Spy many times over the years, but…

From the very little I’ve seen of The NRL Footy Show in recent years, it’s a pretty ordinary program. Fatty used to be somewhat funny back in the 1990s and the 1st half of the 2000s when paired with decent quality co-presenters/regular panellists, but now he’s just embarrassing to watch.

Erin Molan is a decent sports presenter on the Friday/Saturday night editions of Nine News Sydney or on other WWOS programs, but she doesn’t really suit this show IMO. Personally I do think a program like The Footy Show needs a female presenter to break up the blokiness a bit, but I’m not quite sure if Erin Molan (or on the AFL version, Rebecca Maddern) is the right female presenter for this type of show.

Beau Ryan…well where do I begin? And while Darryl “The Big Marn” Brohman seems like a decent enough bloke, I’m fairly indifferent about his role on the show.

I think The NRL Footy Show has been steadily declining in popularity and ratings since around the mid-2000s.

To give you an idea of how popular The NRL Footy Show used to be during the 1990s and even the 1st half of the 2000s, the highlights were made into annual end of year shows and DVD releases. I couldn’t imagine Nine doing something like this with the program as it is now!

I completely agree. Both versions of The Footy Show need to be completely relaunched (including the replacement of all presenters - yes, even Fatty & Sam) or axed entirely.

And by that, obviously I’m only referring to the Thursday night versions. At least The Sunday Footy Show (well, the NRL version anyway) actually seems to talk about football!

3 Likes

thanks for bumping up this thread up

I have watched bits and pieces of it over the last few years. I agree. It is pretty ordinary. I used to watch it religiously each week in the 1990s up to around 2005. It’s fallen since then.

Fatty was good. But he hasn’t really added much of late. Still saying the same jokes (ie - about having red air, being “fat” and still doing the head wobble). Yawn…!

I agree with Erin Molan. As a sports presenter on Nine News, she does well. She did a good job when she was a sports reporter too, covering several sports. She was even on The Sunday Footy Show a few years back doing “Around the Grounds” and thought that this role suited her. But on The NRL Footy Show - she sadly doesn’t suit it. Yvonne Sampson was great as host on the Sunday Footy Show, and could have been a good move for the Thursday show. But sadly, Fox Sports signed her up.

I don’t mind Daryl Brohman. As for Beau Ryan… I’m not the biggest fan out there. I know some who think he is hilarious. I cant see him being funny.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the end of year highlight shows and the yearly DVD’s. They even two (or 3?) Best of Footy Show Comedians DVDs out too. I cant see that happening these days either.

5 Likes

He’s as funny as that jockey Robbo was years ago … and Robbo wasn’t funny.

3 Likes

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I actually really enjoy the show! It’s probably only been in the last 5-6 years that I’ve begun watching loyally, but I think the show at the moment is at a great stage.

I can really see there is genuine camaraderie between the four regulars on the panel, and that’s something that I think would effect the show greatly if one of them was to move on. It’s something that has to come natural - try to force it and it just doesn’t work…look at Hutchy and Sam on the AFL Footy Show this year.

I too was a bit skeptical with Erin’s promotion to co-host a couple of years back, but I think she’s grown into her role well, I think her and Fatty bounce off each other well too as co-hosts.

The format for this years show has been great, with a good balance of footy related discussions/stories, and other “entertainment” type segments like Joking Off, Beau Knows etc. Between The Sticks is great for regional viewers too, with little known country rugby league clubs getting their names on the air which no doubt is well received.

I’m not all that knowledgeable on ratings, but I’d say a large chunk of the audience would be the regional viewers - those outside of the capital cities? And I’m sure it’s these viewers that have pushed the show over the line for the 11 Logies they’ve won over the years!

As long as Channel 9 have the NRL rights, I can’t see too much changing with The Footy Show, and that’s a good thing. The only other time that I could see a major re-brand occurring is if Fatty was to hang up the boots - which I hope doesn’t happen any time soon (I really like the guy!).

While in the view of some, it doesn’t live up to it’s golden era of the early 2000’s, I think the show serves it’s purpose of a genuinely good, entertaining and informative show. Well done on 24 years, here’s to many more!

That’s just what I think anyway… :slight_smile:

Sorry you’re on your own here. The show is atrocious. Nine has some decent programming on their cards (as the case with ANW), but The Footy Show isn’t one of them.

3 Likes

That Bec on the AFL version hosted Ninja Warrior didn’t she?

Fordham to host the NRL Footy Show then? :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

Classic moment on the Sunday Footy Show…

Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns were both panelists today, and Brad decided to bring up the 2000 elimination final between their teams, Roosters and Knights.

For those with long football memories, that was the game where the Knights led 15-0 at half time and Andrew was saying stuff to the Roosters players at the interval like “enjoy your Mad Monday”… And lo and behold in the 2nd half, the Roosters scored 26 points to end the Knights season, with Brad scoring a try off an intercepted Andrew Johns pass.

Brad was reminding him of much of this, and the other panel members were all having a laugh… they also showed that try above. Johns looked quite agitated about that all being brought up. He said, “thanks for showing that guys” through gritted teeth. I thought he was going to get up and walk off!

6 Likes

1 Like

A rare mention of Channel Nine there from NBN.

NRL FOOTY SHOW GRAND FINAL EDITION

Thursday 28 September

Yes it’s time!!! Time for this year’s Grand Final Footy Show spectacular being held at the sensational new International Convention Centre at Darling Harbour on Thursday the 28th September.

Come and see both Grand Final teams in their final appearance together before kick-off in Sunday’s NRL Premiership decider.

In massive music news we can now announce that Footy Show favourite, the one & only Queen Dee… yes Miss Delta Goodrem will be performing LIVE on the Grand Final show, & what she is working on will blow everyone away & be like nothing else she has done before.

And American rockers Everclear will perform their smash hit Santa Monica LIVE, as well as more MASSIVE musical surprises to be announced in the coming weeks.

Be close enough to touch a cavalcade of past and present NRL Superstars in our world famous Player Revue. One lucky audience member gets the opportunity to Pass for Pesos … with a chance to win thousands of dollars. Yes, that could be you!

Tickets are limited and will sell quickly, so cop the heads up and get in early for the VIP packages for the pre-show function where you can get up close and personal with all of the hosts and those players past and present appearing on the night.

This is an all ages family show; so pack the kids in the party bus and get on down!!

Tickets are now on sale at Ticketek.

Those Sydney party buses are definitely not all ages! :smiley:

Here’s a question: True or False, the Footy Show will return to Nine next year?

It’ll probably return for it’s 25th year* in March 2018, even though I personally think it should’ve been axed sometime around 2005-06.

*That is, if you can count the 1993 Grand Final Show and the four weeks of programs for the 1994 Finals Series as being 25 years for the Sydney-based Rugby League version of the Footy Show on Nine. The first official series of the program was in 1995, as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

Definitely will be back next year. And I can’t see too much changing on the show in 2018, they’ve had quite a decent year this year.