The Block

Couldn’t disagree more. This is the stuff that makes it good tv.

Joel’s mother Trish fractured her neck, coccyx and wrist during a fall at her home in Adelaide.

That is terrible to hear. If Nine tries to indulge in this for ratings then that is terrible on their behalf.

6 Likes

Haven’t they done this before with dead mothers, sick children and dead grandparents?

1 Like

Yep. Disgusting.

Why wouldn’t they? This is the narrative of events that have taken place. I’m sure the same people would be labelling The Block as fake reality if they covered it up or downplayed it.
Survivor and many other reality tv shows have been using these types of events for promos, for decades. Nothing new.

2 Likes

I didn’t say ignore it but knowing what The Block’s been like with promos in recent years you’d hope they go for something a bit more sensible for something like this which is absolutely awful for anyone to go through. Actually make the show genuine and compassionate rather than the scragfest it’s been the last few years.

Really? I’ve watched every season and I think The Block have always given a decent edit for tragic unforeseen events. I don’t ever recall seeing a promo hyping up the death or tragic accident, of a contestants love one.
They’ll obviously mention it in the preview for the next episode, but that is totally understandable as they are telling the narrative of the storyline.

3 Likes

I felt they did ‘hype’ and built a narrative when Becs mother died. It was always important in the lead up to her death that they show her washing their clothes, bringing George some food etc.

Even last year they built a narrative around Kirsty’s grandmother.

Was it done respectfully? Yes. Was it really necessary to the premise of the show? No.

3 Likes

Can they not keep personal things private? Do we really need to know about all this?

The Block (renovating) or not, I think you’re missing the point of a ‘reality’ tv show.

They’re only 3 days in they could essentially wipe them and refilm with new couple

1 Like

Perhaps at the beginning of the show they could acknowledge the couple and explain why they’re leaving and wish them and his mother the best. Then bring in the new couple. I don’t want to see half an episode about them leaving and how sad everyone is.

1 Like

From Nine

New Block contestants Elle Ferguson and Joel Patfull leave the show just three days into filming the 2022 season

“Over weekend, we were surprised to have one of our new contestant teams depart The Block a few days into filming for the upcoming season,” they said in a statement.

“We wish them all the best for the future and we’re excited to cast two new Aussies for the opportunity of a lifetime on The Block . The Block Tree Change will air as scheduled later this year.”

Meanwhile, I keep seeing articles referencing them as the ‘STAR couple’ or ‘POWER couple’ from The Block, yet i’ve never heard of either of them until this moment.

1 Like

I have no idea who they are either. When I first saw the name I thought John Platten. Wrong footballer.

1 Like

The Daily Telegraph reports that The Block contestants have described the living conditions on the show as inhumane, with minimal food and water on offer, freezing temperatures, and a lack of toilet paper.

Contestants have told those close to them many of the cast are at breaking point, despite filming only having just started in April.

Nine have refuted many of the claims.

1 Like

Great content!

Perfect fodder for even more ‘drama’ :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Big Brother morphed elements of Survivor into the format, sounds like The Block is following suit.

7 Likes