The Block

Calling all Blockheads!

We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated, hardworking teams of two to participate in Australia’s biggest renovating challenge.

Yes it’s that time again! Applications now open for The Block!

DEADLINE: 14 March

More here

1 Like

Real Estate section of News has the following article

Is this the new home of season 12 of The Block?

According to various media reports, an old soap factory in Port Melbourne has just been snapped up by a Channel Nine production team as a possible address for season 12 of the show. It would be the eighth series of The Block filmed in the Victorian capital.

So the show is becoming more soapie? :wink:

The South Yarra apartment renovated by Kingi and Caro on last season of the show is now the major prize of a raffle hosted by Mater Foundation of Brisbane. Saw the ad in the Letterbox Deals booklet which was dropped into my place this week.
The charity bought the unit for $1.735 million at the auction finale.

Any idea when The Block is beginning on Nine? Against the Rio Olympics? Nine are airing a promo of the entertainment this year on Nine. The Voice, House Husbands, YBITR etc. but no The Block?

If it screens this year it will be last quarter otherwise the next one could be next year against MKR and I’m A Celeb. Maybe they’re waiting to see how House Rules goes.

1 Like

[quote=“JBar, post:6, topic:751”]
If it screens this year it will be last quarter
[/quote] You would think with the horrible ratings thus far and reported that revenue is down by 11%, The Block as one of Nine’s most successful shows will need to be on this year. I predict and agree in the last quarter of the year.

TV Tonight: " Nine was tight-lipped yesterday on its plans for the next season."

Scott Cam announced in The Block’s winning speech that the show will return “later this year” I suspect either against the Olympics or in October.

Fairfax reports work is underway at Port Melbourne to prepare the building for renovation. It will be an eight-week renovation period with an August premiere and six apartments.

After the Olympics, I assume.

Today’s Herald Sun print edition has a photo of the Port Melbourne building, across the road from the Port Melbourne Football Club, surrounded by scaffolds as filming began.

THE BLOCK 2016 Coming Soon

The 12th series of Australia’s longest running reality-realty program, THE BLOCK, is coming soon to the Nine Network.

The Block 2016, which is currently shooting, is set in an imposing art deco building constructed in the 1920s in the inner-city bayside suburb of Port Melbourne.

The new season will follow the trials and tribulations of five new couples in their challenge to interpret the building’s heritage significance and transform the derelict interior into the biggest luxury apartments ever seen on The Block.

Host Scott Cam says: “This series has gotten off to a cracking start – one of our best yet. It is going to give Aussie viewers great pleasure watching these Blockheads restore this building to its former glory.

“It’s a magnificent building rich in history, and will hopefully make a few more couples rich too.”

The five new ultra-competitive couples taking on the huge renovation challenge are:

• Julia (31) and Sasha (42), partners of four years, from Melbourne
• Andy (25) and Ben (24), best mates, from Geelong
• Kim (32) and Chris (34), married four years, from Newcastle
• Dan (55) and Carleen (52), married 30 years, from Perth
• Karlie (25) and Will (25), engaged, together nine years, from Brisbane

Scott Cam will again be joined by co-host Shelley Craft, judges Neale Whitaker, Shaynna Blaze and Darren Palmer, “The Blockinator”, foreman Keith Schleiger, and his right-hand man, Dan Reilly.

1 Like

Think it is unusual that in the image above the 3rd from the right (Chris) is wearing what looks like a Police uniform and vest . :neutral_face: Not sure if it is original police equipment in use.

New short promo shown during The Voice grand final says the new season will start in August. I am not sure if it will air against the Olympics though.

The Block’s Queensland themed promo (follows a news promo in video) “We’ve won the State of Origin, now it’s time for another Queensland victory.” Probably not being shown in NSW :slight_smile:

The Australian is reporting that The Block will start immediately after the Olympics and go through until the end of the ratings in late November.

https://twitter.com/TheBlock/status/759689160961634304

PREMIERES MONDAY 22 AUGUST
AT 7.30PM ON CHANNEL NINE

Channel Nine announced today that Australia’s longest running reality program, The Block, will be returning for its 12th series on Monday, August 22, at 7.30pm.

Five new teams of renovators from various generations will be leaving their old lives behind for the challenge of a lifetime.

The latest series promises to be one of grand-scale proportions as these couples renovate the derelict headquarters of a historic Australian soap and candle factory.

Simon Baird, Programming Executive, says: “The Block is Australia’s most loved renovation reality show and this series is bigger and better than ever. Audiences old and new will enjoy watching each couple go through the ups and downs of renovating and rebuilding this iconic building.”

Each of the five couples will be tasked with restoring The Block to its former glory, along with turning their own space into a three-bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom luxury apartment, complete with an expansive outdoor terrace and city views.

In a baptism of fire, the new couples on The Block test their renovation skills in the first 48 hours with a challenge that almost breaks them. The winners of this challenge are rewarded with first pick of which level and space they wish to renovate.

I really wish Nine would bring The Block back to its original format as a 2 hour (?) show every Sunday ONLY. I stopped watching it once it turned into a nightly-format because you just miss out on too much and they drag it out.

Doubt that will ever happen though :stuck_out_tongue: