The Archival Thread

Seven Network strikes again! Sorry to hear, mate. Your channel was up there with the best.

11 Likes

Sorry to hear. Funny you mentioned Seven Network. I noticed a few years ago Seven started their own archive YT channel. So this may be a major part of it. They don’t have a lot of content on there though.

4 Likes

Like what does Seven lose by a YouTube channel showcasing their promos for free? I don’t see what Seven gains by shutting it down.

15 Likes

I have have some strange take down notices over the years as most channels would but it did seem odd to be concentrating on promos that would otherwise have been promotional for the network. The studio tour was also strange as Seven actually sent out a video of the studio tour to media that could be uploaded to YouTube.

13 Likes

What a shame. Sorry to hear this.

1 Like

Should I be concerned if I’m do news intro compilations? Like, if I do one (i.e. updating my compilation of BTQ-7 intros) & I credit where each clip came from as I should do, would that put many other archivists in danger? If so, that may be the point where we need to dissuade all archivists from using YouTube.

Because its crazy that some TV networks like Seven & even US stations like WPLG in Miami, Florida see the appreciation people have for their history they put out for free & making no money out of it, only to throw them under the bus

1 Like

the networks are happy to tap into YouTube as an archive source for old footage, to save them doing the retrieval themselves, but will slap those same YouTube channels with copyright claims and shut them down. They seem to want it both ways.

11 Likes

Definitely lots of examples of networks including Seven using clips from the channel over the years. There was only one network that ever asked to use a video and that was the BBC.

4 Likes

Just to relate one copyright breach received a few years ago. It claimed that the video of a news report that I had saved and uploaded from the 1980s was claimed by a band to contain one of their songs. A bit strange since it was a TV news report and the video was older the song. It turned out that the song contained elements of the news report. But of course with YouTube you don’t have many rights and it isn’t worth fighting the copyright notice.

3 Likes

I had the same thing with a instructional video from the 1980’s containing the companies own made jingle against a piece of music made in 2013 with a heavily edited clip of that same jingle. It even included the companies name in the jingle but they don’t care.

Also I had the trailer for the movie Napoleon be content ID claimed by Seven as Agro’s Cartoon Connection for a while. The claim mysteriously disappeared at some point though. My guess is they probably featured the movie in the show around the time of its release.

3 Likes

Is there a way the channel can be reuploaded.
Like it we convince Channel Seven to undo their copyright strikes, can the channel return automatically , or does everything have to be loaded one by one

2 Likes

Very hard to do. I had my channels taken down by some trolls and even after filling multiple requests, they couldn’t put it back up.

2 Likes

just bought my first couple of tapes - getting into the archival hobby!

11 Likes

I didn’t even realise people were selling these on eBay.

4 Likes

Or that people would pay that much for them.

4 Likes

I was in an op shop today and saw they were selling an old Strong PVR for $5 and thought it may still have all it’s old recordings.

Just tested it and it has about 30 recordings from 2004 to 2012. A few movies, episodes of better homes & gardens and ALF when it was on 7two, plus other random things.

I should get some good promos, idents and ads from them.

Has anyone else had any luck with old PVR’s?

9 Likes

Lucky! Great find.

Hard to believe 2012 is almost retro

2 Likes

me rn

2 Likes

Good find especially for $5.

1 Like