The Archival Thread

I just stick to the ‘Buy It Now’ listings and take the gamble. Now even though a listing title says “Ads” that’s often not the case. I’ve placed bids on some listings before and within the last few seconds before it ends I’d be outbidded (even after I maxed the bid).

2 Likes

Like @Zampakid, I stick to the ‘Buy It Now’ listings too. Though, I last got tapes there a few years ago. I ask similarish things; making sure that they have commercials, as well as the tapes themselves being in good condition.

@mubd is on the money, though. I’m usually on FB Marketplace, Gumtree too.

2 Likes

Managed to pick these up from a garage sale yesterday.

11 Likes

Do you transfer an entire tape then check if there is anything good on it, or do you check what’s on the tape before transfer?

2 Likes

I check the contents before I capture.

2 Likes

I’ve got boxes of tapes I haven’t looked at for years but never find the time to do anything with them. Some of them are labelled and some aren’t. I’m not even sure if they’re all playable and have considered tossing them a number of times.

2 Likes

I generally check, sort the tapes in order of what I want to capture (generally the more interesting content first), and then capture.

For example, I’d love to capture some obscure old series recorded in the 1980s which is unobtanium today, but an episode of NCIS with commercials that was recorded in 2009? That can go to the bottom of the pile.

3 Likes

I use Leaktek WinFast capture cards (the PxDTV2300 H and previously the DTV1000 S but also have a DTV2000 DS Plus for DAB+) which I have been familiar with since the early 2000s. Not all models are the same though as it depends on the drivers and chip it uses.

I use 6 head Hi-Fi VCRs, the heads are cleaned when I start to notice issues which can be from 15 to 30 cassettes. I also tuned the tracking/linear audio head on a few of them recently which was a big improvement.

I use an audio mixer for balancing the audio as I capture as I find every tape, recording and even segments can be different.

I grab using VirtualDub2 x64 as well as edit and output so no other program is needed. I even use it with multiple machines in a beowulf cluster doing a list of jobs filtering and encoding which greatly reduces the time needed waiting for rendering to finish.

I have 4 computers I generally use, I can mix between grabbing and beowulf clustering, but 2 of those are set up for grabbing with their own VCR and mixing console.

I upload to the Internet Archive and YouTube however YouTube must be resized to 720p or higher to maintain 50 frames per second otherwise 576 lines gets turned into 480p30.
YouTube vidoes also get synced to Odysee.

5 Likes

long shot but if you do check them and find anything related to the Challenger explosion i’d be up to see it

Acquired these today from Facebook Marketplace:

10 Likes

Kind of related to this topic, but here’s why I decided to delete my archival YouTube channels. The reason why I deleted my archive channels feat. @jmoul79, @AustralianTVFan and @oztvheritage - YouTube

This actually happened in November last year, so forgot to send you until now.

Not hard to go into YouTube Studio, go to content, select all then delete.

YouTube is not an archive and should never be treated as one.

1 Like

Is this the right thread to post this? I would like to advise every Aussie archivist who uploads stuff to YouTube that they should also upload to the Internet Archive. I’ve been informed that a very prominent Aussie archivist, Australian TV Fan, had their channel taken down for copyright claims. The following screenshot isn’t mine, but this is just to show proof the channel got taken down.

In all fairness, this YouTuber has uploaded current bulletins, which I don’t really recommend doing on YT (at least for Australian news bulletins) and this may been the reason why their channel got taken down. If that’s the case, I’m a bit surprised that their channel was taken down only now since they’ve been doing this for years.

Nonetheless, Australian TV Fan being taken down by YouTube is definitelty a huge blow for Aussie media archivists due to how the channel has massively contributed to archiving vintage Australian TV content such as network promos, intros, IDs, etc. At this moment, for any Aussie archivists mainly uploading promos & IDs (old and new), as well as old clips & bulletins, there’s nothing to be concerned about uploading those to YouTube. As for more recent news bulletins, I advise you don’t upload full bulletins to YT and stick to just intros, teasers, rejoins, closes, etc. However, as I’ve said before, I highly advise every Aussie archivist, or any archivist for that matter, to start uploading their stuff to the Internet Archive as well, just incase.

6 Likes

YouTube is horrible quality, everyone should be syncing their channels to Odysee and Rumble anyway and even better to upload directly skipping the re-encode potato quality YouTube does.

I don’t care if my account gets terminated… YouTube has little value to me.

Besides the stupid account terminations on YouTube the issue with the Internet Archive is that it is slow to upload. I’m done wasting 10 hours or more every time I uploaded something.

The Internet Archive locked my account without warning. When I contacted them it was apparently an error but there is items missing from my account. The Internet Archive is not a safe place either, only my personal storage under my control is.

The other issue is the freeloaders downloading it all and uploading it to YouTube and to Twitch and Kick streams with no credit.

There is no incentive to contribute anything online when everyone takes it for themselves.

Finally stop using the word “YouTuber”, it is a dumb word, the work we do is much more than the turd of YouTube that everyone thinks is the centre of it all.

3 Likes

It’s not the first time either, Vintage Ads & TV disappeared which had over 1900 videos.

1 Like

I have my own issues with Odysee & Rumble. For the first one, its blockchain-based, so it’s a no-go for me as I don’t wanna deal with any cryptocurrency shenanigans and the second, I don’t even wanna dive into that one here.

I will say, people reuploading videos to YouTube without crediting the original source is definitely an issue, even with US archival footage.

1 Like

You do realise Odysee is separate from LRBY which is not continuing right? Maybe actually look at the website or app and see how well it works.

As for Rumble I barely use it myself but it is there and people watch stuff who want to avoid YouTube, good on them!

I could not give a toss about cryptocurrency, blockchain or any new fad as long as it does what I want.
All I had to do was set the sync up with my YouTube channel and let it go… If something gets edited or removed from YouTube it still exists elsewhere without any extra work.

Boycotting yourself from something because of one unrelated thing is really narrow minded. There are services available online that work well, use them! I see you already use NewPipe (hopefully a better fork like NewPipe x SponsorBlock x Return YouTube Dislike) so you are clever enough to figure it out.

1 Like

I believe that is @TV.Cynic so maybe they can provide more information.

3 Likes

Firstly, thanks to those who sent me personal messages of support but, yes, unfortunately the YouTube channel that I curated Australian TV fan was taken down by YouTube. It was due to multiple simultaneous takedown strikes form the Seven Network.

These were mostly videos of Seven promos e.g. for Sunrise (x3), The Voice, Animals Aboard, World Cup Coverage. There was also a montage and a sponsor board plus a new studio tour. Generally things you wouldn’t think would be a problem based on past behaviour by networks.

There wasn’t anything associated with FIFA because they don’t do takedown notices, they generally just block videos from being show.

On a positive note, none of the content has be lost and it is all backed up.

27 Likes