The Archival Thread

YouTube is horrible quality, everyone should be syncing their channels to Odysee and Rumble anyway and even better to upload directly skipping the re-encode potato quality YouTube does.

I don’t care if my account gets terminated… YouTube has little value to me.

Besides the stupid account terminations on YouTube the issue with the Internet Archive is that it is slow to upload. I’m done wasting 10 hours or more every time I uploaded something.

The Internet Archive locked my account without warning. When I contacted them it was apparently an error but there is items missing from my account. The Internet Archive is not a safe place either, only my personal storage under my control is.

The other issue is the freeloaders downloading it all and uploading it to YouTube and to Twitch and Kick streams with no credit.

There is no incentive to contribute anything online when everyone takes it for themselves.

Finally stop using the word “YouTuber”, it is a dumb word, the work we do is much more than the turd of YouTube that everyone thinks is the centre of it all.

3 Likes

It’s not the first time either, Vintage Ads & TV disappeared which had over 1900 videos.

1 Like

I have my own issues with Odysee & Rumble. For the first one, its blockchain-based, so it’s a no-go for me as I don’t wanna deal with any cryptocurrency shenanigans and the second, I don’t even wanna dive into that one here.

I will say, people reuploading videos to YouTube without crediting the original source is definitely an issue, even with US archival footage.

1 Like

You do realise Odysee is separate from LRBY which is not continuing right? Maybe actually look at the website or app and see how well it works.

As for Rumble I barely use it myself but it is there and people watch stuff who want to avoid YouTube, good on them!

I could not give a toss about cryptocurrency, blockchain or any new fad as long as it does what I want.
All I had to do was set the sync up with my YouTube channel and let it go… If something gets edited or removed from YouTube it still exists elsewhere without any extra work.

Boycotting yourself from something because of one unrelated thing is really narrow minded. There are services available online that work well, use them! I see you already use NewPipe (hopefully a better fork like NewPipe x SponsorBlock x Return YouTube Dislike) so you are clever enough to figure it out.

1 Like

I believe that is @TV.Cynic so maybe they can provide more information.

3 Likes

Firstly, thanks to those who sent me personal messages of support but, yes, unfortunately the YouTube channel that I curated Australian TV fan was taken down by YouTube. It was due to multiple simultaneous takedown strikes form the Seven Network.

These were mostly videos of Seven promos e.g. for Sunrise (x3), The Voice, Animals Aboard, World Cup Coverage. There was also a montage and a sponsor board plus a new studio tour. Generally things you wouldn’t think would be a problem based on past behaviour by networks.

There wasn’t anything associated with FIFA because they don’t do takedown notices, they generally just block videos from being show.

On a positive note, none of the content has be lost and it is all backed up.

27 Likes

Seven Network strikes again! Sorry to hear, mate. Your channel was up there with the best.

11 Likes

Sorry to hear. Funny you mentioned Seven Network. I noticed a few years ago Seven started their own archive YT channel. So this may be a major part of it. They don’t have a lot of content on there though.

4 Likes

Like what does Seven lose by a YouTube channel showcasing their promos for free? I don’t see what Seven gains by shutting it down.

15 Likes

I have have some strange take down notices over the years as most channels would but it did seem odd to be concentrating on promos that would otherwise have been promotional for the network. The studio tour was also strange as Seven actually sent out a video of the studio tour to media that could be uploaded to YouTube.

13 Likes

What a shame. Sorry to hear this.

1 Like

Should I be concerned if I’m do news intro compilations? Like, if I do one (i.e. updating my compilation of BTQ-7 intros) & I credit where each clip came from as I should do, would that put many other archivists in danger? If so, that may be the point where we need to dissuade all archivists from using YouTube.

Because its crazy that some TV networks like Seven & even US stations like WPLG in Miami, Florida see the appreciation people have for their history they put out for free & making no money out of it, only to throw them under the bus

1 Like

the networks are happy to tap into YouTube as an archive source for old footage, to save them doing the retrieval themselves, but will slap those same YouTube channels with copyright claims and shut them down. They seem to want it both ways.

11 Likes

Definitely lots of examples of networks including Seven using clips from the channel over the years. There was only one network that ever asked to use a video and that was the BBC.

4 Likes

Just to relate one copyright breach received a few years ago. It claimed that the video of a news report that I had saved and uploaded from the 1980s was claimed by a band to contain one of their songs. A bit strange since it was a TV news report and the video was older the song. It turned out that the song contained elements of the news report. But of course with YouTube you don’t have many rights and it isn’t worth fighting the copyright notice.

3 Likes

I had the same thing with a instructional video from the 1980’s containing the companies own made jingle against a piece of music made in 2013 with a heavily edited clip of that same jingle. It even included the companies name in the jingle but they don’t care.

Also I had the trailer for the movie Napoleon be content ID claimed by Seven as Agro’s Cartoon Connection for a while. The claim mysteriously disappeared at some point though. My guess is they probably featured the movie in the show around the time of its release.

3 Likes

Is there a way the channel can be reuploaded.
Like it we convince Channel Seven to undo their copyright strikes, can the channel return automatically , or does everything have to be loaded one by one

2 Likes

Very hard to do. I had my channels taken down by some trolls and even after filling multiple requests, they couldn’t put it back up.

2 Likes

just bought my first couple of tapes - getting into the archival hobby!

11 Likes

I didn’t even realise people were selling these on eBay.

4 Likes