The Amazing Race

Amazing Race started in the US today. The cast this season are all described as “competitors”.

This season has 4 double episodes including the final on 21 February.

No spoilers for those who didn’t watch but the ratings for Ep 1 are in and it is very good news for TAR

1.6 rating in the 18-49 demo and 7.3 million viewers, topping the timeslot in 18-49 viewers and topping the night in total viewers. These ratings are not finalised, but the numbers shouldn’t adjust much.

Given that it almost doubled the average total viewership and 18-49 viewership from last season (the “Perfect Strangers” edition), this is VERY GOOD NEWS for TAR fans - I thought S30 would be the last go around the world for TARUS. While nothing is confirmed for S31, this increases the probability for a new season dramatically.

So it appears while most of the US schedule is two episodes a week, here on 7flix we will be airing just one a week. We will quickly fall behind the US.

How do you know? The 7flix schedule hasnt been released that far in advance.

Oh didn’t it start off with a double? Sorry I thought it started off with a double episode. Sorry about that.

The doubles start in February.

I hope we don’t get the season as double eps. I don’t care if we fall a few weeks behind, I’m happy enough as long as it’s aired relatively close. Id’ rather it weekly for one hour than have the season rushed through in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Seeing as this may unfortunately be the last series I’m going to make the most of the first night feeling when we meet the teams and discover their quirks and foibles. Bring on 7.30!

I don’t mean to be rude but did you not see my post about the US ratings above. TAR30’s premiere killed in the 8pm Wednesday CBS slot. It was up about 70% on TAR29’s average viewership.

If TAR 30 stays around those numbers (7.3 million, 1.6 in the 18-49 demo), I think it has a good few years ahead of it, especially if it stays put at the Wednesday 8pm slot (which is unofficially CBS’s Reality Game Show Slot - with US Survivor during Spring and Fall and Big Brother US’s Eviction Show during the Summer. CBS should really use TAR to fill the Winter and cement that slot as their Reality Slot).

Sorry, yes I read your comment and I hope you’re right. I’ve just been sceptical because it seemed that TAR30 was only produced to wrap up the show.

That said I really enjoyed the show last night and the contestants seem great. I’ve never seen a race to the pit-stop like that before! I notice that further into the series they’re switching partners which will be an interesting twist.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first episode but it usually takes me a couple of episodes to get into the season. Iceland should have been a great location plus is somewhere that I’ve been so was excited about it, but I don’t think they really showcased much there. Also for a first leg for them to be cold and wrapped up in warm clothes made it hard to get to see and know the teams very well. All we had were people going across ropes in the air or driving carts. I would have preferred more running around Reykjavic or a bit more of a fight for differing flights at the airport or something.

The show has struggled mostly because it was moved to the graveyard Friday night slot. It’s great to see some life has been put back into it by airing it mid week again. If ratings remain decent I think it will be back. Even if it still just remains as a filler show for gaps in CBS show it’s better than nothing and this time has proven it shouldn’t be written off just yet.

Surely all the teams aren’t switching up mid season. That would be too gimmicky. Hopefully it’s just for a task, or maybe a punishment for bottom 2 teams at some point. I just don’t like the idea of people going on a race together and then switching and competing against their own loved one midway through the race (if they wanted to do a twist like that do it from the start).

That’s what I assumed. They’ve done that before, haven’t they?

The amazing Race is listed as a 1 hour episode this week. Was it a double episode in the US? If so it would mean we are going to get 1 episode per week which is what I’d prefer.

One hour in the US

Doubles start Jan 24.

Just checked the schedule for Tuesday Jan 29th. 7flix will be showing double episodes of The Amazing Race alongside the US.

1 Like

…at 10.46pm :rage:

Oh? Foxtel still says 7:30pm. That sucks if that’s true.

I’m going off the Freeview app. It has Cats make you LOL at 7.30, followed by the ironically titled movie Push (2009) at 8.30.

@TV.Cynic - have you seen any amendments come through?

Could be making room for The Simpsons eventually I guess.