The Amazing Race Australia

7’s Aus seasons are very highly regarded deep in the TAR fan community. The second season is quite a common answer to “What’s your favourite season”).

1 Like

Seasons 1 and 2 were excellent. Season 3 was a disaster because it appeared to be a co-production between New Zealand - with 5 teams from Aus/NZ. Terribly lame.

2 Likes

Just listened to the tvblackbox podcast. They seem to think this will air on Sundays at 7:30 once a week. I don’t think this will happen. I think 10 will air this in a similar way to Survivor and won’t air until Masked Singer is finished and will air with The Bachelorette. I would say Monday 28th of October with The Bachelorette beginning Wednesday 30th October.

If future seasons of the bachelorette are anything to go by it will last 6 weeks and conclude 5th December. Which means we have 3 weeks before christmas. Cough cough 50 week schedule!

1 Like

I don’t if this has been revealed yet but a promo tonight featured Beau Ryan saying 8 countries and 22 contestants.

1 Like

The clip shows some of the destinations the teams have visited.

All three seasons were very good, but Season 2 was definitely the best - Grant has settled into the role after being a bit wooden in the first year, and it didn’t have the Aus/NZ gimmick of S3.

1 Like

Elements from 2 promos tonight - one an overall network one and the other for The Amazing Race.

6 Likes

The 2 promos broadcast so far do not show any destinations.

The destinations were seen in the network show reel as posted:

3 Likes

I don’t think Seven’s choice of Grant Bowler was that original or special, just plucked him from Border Security.

I hope this rates decent for 10.

Rubbish. His list of credits was a lot more extensive than that. He’d shown he was capable of presenting such a format years earlier when he hosted The Mole for Seven. It was clever of Seven to lure him back for TARA considering his acting career had taken off in the US in the years immediately before.

8 Likes

Those teasers are very good so far.

I’ve watched every season of the US version so this will have to be good to impress.

1 Like

Indeed.

Personally I’m not sure whether Ten have made the right choice in selecting Beau Ryan as the host of their revived version of The Amazing Race Australia because let’s be realistic here: Considering that barely anyone saw Beau Ryan’s work on Chris & Julia’s Saturday Night Takeaway earlier this year, people in NSW & Queensland would probably only remember him as being that cringeworthy and unfunny guy from The NRL Footy Show before it was axed, while everyone else probably wouldn’t have heard of his name before in their lives!

3 Likes

Although he is one of the people Ten has been lambasted for over exposing on the network, I would prefer to have seen Dr. Chris Brown host this than someone who is sure to be cringeworthy and OTT.

2 Likes

As I said earlier this year, I agree he probably isn’t the best choice. However, we have only seen him doing live TV where he doesn’t really shine. Who knows, with some editing and a few extra takes here and there, he could be fine.

22 contestants (11 teams) and 8 countries means it’s prob a similar length to US seasons. Add in 2 or 3 non-elim rounds and ut will prob have max 12 eps.

I think he’ll do well on the show. Seems likable enough. And the host is not really a make or break for this show. I enjoyed the first couple of seasons on Seven despite Grant Bowler as host. I found him too wooden and inanimate, but he wasn’t on air enough to detract from the rest of the action.

1 Like

I agree. Plus the hosts role is so minimal on this show. All they really do is explain tasks and wait at the pit stop to check teams in.

7 Likes

Not disagreeing or talking about that.

But he had been on the books for Seven for years prior and this was also a not too dissimilar location (voicing airport security vs hosting a reality show traversing airports).

Proven talents for such a show like Denyer, Tobin, even Williams, Daddo or someone brand new would’ve been better IMO.

“Just plucked him from Border Security” makes it sound like that was his only achievement and he had nothing else going on. Narrating a factual series and being an on camera personality interacting with contestants requires different skills.

I maintain Beau Ryan’s personality is too brash not to overshadow the real stars of the show- the contestants. People like Bowler and Keoghan are understated but empathetic towards contestants.

6 Likes

No no, not at all. I meant because it was the most recent thing he’d been doing (for years in fact) at the network, not to say his CV wasn’t more impressive or didn’t help, just my assumption. Fair enough to the rest of your comment too, I’ll cop that.