The Amazing Race Australia

This upsets me so much.

The US producers would be ashamed of the season put to air here this year.

It’s been more scripted than MAFS.

Things better change next year.

4 Likes

The write up on TV Tonight mentions a pretty short production/editing turnaround was required. Hopefully a longer period for planning, production and editing next year will improve things - I believe production is set down for June/July, and presumably going to air in Q4 again.

5 Likes

I believd thst. Tyler in thag interview said that it was all still a bit raw, so he did still seem to be cut up about it.

This is generally what happens with all reality shows. The difference overseas is the contestants sign non-disclosure agreements and would be scared of revealing anything, with threats of multimillion dollar lawsuits in the highly litigious country that America is.

I still think it’s been significantly more prevelant this season due to poor planning, budgets, rushing the season etc. The fact that no team could complete a puzzle in 4 hours just goes to show that it couldn’t have been tested out too well. Surely if it was that hard some test dummies would have struggled as well? It def happens in other versions that a team or two don’t complete a task and are then given a 4 hour penalty, but I can’t recall all teams not being able to complete a challenge. Essentially every team got that 4 hour penalty but there was no point in riding it out because the order that they got to the challenge determined the result in that instance. So instead they filmed them fake completing it before letting them go off and touch the mat in that order otherwise the ending would have been very anti climatic… but this goes back to giving them something that was clearly way too hard.

1 Like

What I would want to see for season 5 in 2020
*A genuine round the world race, either in the easterly direction or in the westerly section, starting AND finishing in Australia
*Get more sponsors on board (e.g. a booking website like Agoda) so there is a prize for the team which comes first at each pitstop
*Let the teams book their own air tickets when travelling to another country, except the first leg when teams depart Australia
*Keep U-turns to two maximum, no U-turn when there are only five teams remaining
*Teams to depart a set number of hours after they have made the pit stop, not in two minute intervals like in some legs of this season
*Re-introduce Express Pass and/or Salvage Pass

1 Like

That sounds perfect and how it should have been done this year. Hopefully with the extra planning time they sort these problems out for next year.

1 Like

I would also say regarding the U-turns that they have double U-turns. It just seems unfair for 1 team to get disadvantaged. At least if two teams get a U-turn those two teams are racing against each other and it seems a bit more fair.

1 Like

Seeing as you’ve highlighted that there was some ‘discretionary editing’ done during the race, did Joey give you any insight into the pitstop that saw Sid and Ash eliminated? It was made to look like Viv and Joey reached the pitstop with only seconds to spare, but I get the feeling that may not be the case after all…

1 Like

Nah I didn’t really ask him too much about the earlier episodes unless he whinged about it. Like when he said they missed first spot in the second leg due to a production issue that held them up for 10 mins and would have own the $1000 otherwise. I did see him a bit on the weekend and he did seem quite annoyed over the final puzzle. He said whilst it could have given him a chance to overtake the other teams it was just close to impossible. He also said that production claimed that it could be done in 45 mins if you knew what you were doing. Well clearly none of the teams did. He also went back to NT the other week to do the exact skydive that he was unable to do in the finale due to it being too windy.

Did Viv go too? She didn’t seem to like the heights too much.

Thanks for the updates. Very interesting to see what happens on the other side of the camera. It’s disappointing though because of all the reality shows I always thought TAR was one that had the least opportunity to manipulate the results.

No just Joey went up to NT. He’s very good friends with Jerome and Jasmin.

I think a lot of the “manipulation” was due to poor planning, budgets, being their first season etc. I would expect it to significantly improve next season and there be less of a need for it.

2 Likes

True, but just the fact that V&J were showed to be in front after the challenge on the last episode makes me a bit suspicious, especially when in fact they were last (and were unable to complete the previous challenge). I don’t understand what purpose would it serve to show them in front.

I agree. It was 10’s last minute ditch at trying to get on the travel genre on the back of the travel guides success.

He has no idea why it was edited that way but the only reason I can think of is that the teams were in the same order the whole leg, so they wanted to make it seem more exciting that one team overtook another? I can’t think of any other reason why they would do it.

1 Like

What’s interesting is this paragraph:

It also isn’t clear if CBS would allow an Australian edition to proceed while it suspends its own, however that’s a decision probably to be made closer to production.

I thought the Australian version is independent from the US version??

2 Likes

I assume they mean CBS might not allow it to go ahead, as owners of 10.

1 Like

Well at least this season we might see some more variety than the Asian countries.

Knowing 10 if it goes ahead they’ll probably go for safer closer options, such as New Zealnd and maybe venture into places like Fiji/Samoa etc.

2 Likes

I selfishly don’t want it to go ahead and for 10 to invest in the Circle instead.

2 Likes

I’m certain we will get an Aussie version eventually and now is probably the time for Ten to consider it. The Amazing Race did OK but not amazingly well. The Circle is at least new and fresh.

1 Like