Tennis

Polio has been endemic for 130 years, we still have vaccine requirements for that.

For the first time since 2004 the top-ranked player is not Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Andy Murray

5 Likes

He should be made to pay ,he can afford it

2 Likes

I felt like there was a lot of anti-Australia sentiment coming from America over our visa rules. Seems America had the same rules all along, and they are enforcing them.

Surely this negates what little respect he clawed back after his Australian saga and the apologetic statement he released. He clearly still thinks it’s all about him, happy to go around trolling tennis tournaments. And testing legal systems around the world to see where he can use his elite privilege to be a live the law.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1504028263441653765

This trial, which has been approved by the Rules of Tennis Committee governed by the ITF, will apply to all Grand Slams across Qualifying, Men’s singles and doubles, Women’s singles and doubles, Wheelchair and Junior events in singles, and will commence at the 2022 edition of Roland-Garros.

At the Australian Open, Roland-Garros, and the US Open, the 10-point tie-break will be played in lieu of the final set for Mixed Doubles, Junior doubles and Wheelchair doubles. At Wimbledon, the format will remain the same as for the other events.

Under this trial, if the score reaches six games all in the final set, the match winner(s) will be the first player(s) to win 10 points with an advantage of two or more points.

1 Like

It’s been used at the Australian Open since 2019

1 Like

Shock announcement

3 Likes

Why? How? What?

Today is difficult and filled with emotion for me as I announce my retirement from tennis. I wasn’t sure how to share this news with you so I asked my good friend @caseydellacqua to help me. I am so thankful for everything this sport has given me and leave feeling proud and fulfilled. Thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way, I’ll always be grateful for the lifelong memories that we created together.

More to come tomorrow at my press conference.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbbbr7xBX7N/

5 Likes

That is a huge shock given she only won Australian Open two months ago.

1 Like

All good questions for tomorrow’s media conference. :tennis:

4 Likes

Can’t she just decide it’s right for her? Why the full explanation required?

Based on history, this actually isn’t surprising to me.

1 Like

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/ash-barty-retires-world-reacts-to-world-number-ones-decision-to-end-tennis-career/news-story/ac735d7edfc3d6b4b72bf8890150f92e

Cue reporters standing outside tennis courts :wink:

4 Likes

Well done on a wonderful tennis career Ashleigh Barty. Ashleigh Barty has had a lot of achievements including winning the 2019 French Open (women’s singles), 2021 Wimbledon Singles Final and this year’s Australian Open Final. As well, she won a Bronze Medal, representing the Mixed Doubles Tennis in the 2021 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Thank you for the wonderful contribution in tennis, Ashleigh.

3 Likes

She has achieved so much in the tennis world at a young age, and she appears to be the same as when she first started playing tennis - humble.

Well done to Ash Barty and put your feet up and relax.

2 Likes

Such a shock but yet again she’s all class in the way she goes about things. Good luck to her.

4 Likes

I’ll be interested in hearing more about her reason. But I’m preparing for a disappointing ‘it’s just there right time’ / ‘going out on top’ type explanation.

A few more years and she could have made a real historic name for herself internationally. She’ll always be a big name in Australia, but 3 grand slams will not be very memorable on the international stage. Her choice of course, but sad to see such potential go unrealized.

4 Likes

Reminds me of Ian Thorpe’s retirement at the same age in 2006 after taking a year off swimming after the Athens Olympics then retiring