Tennis

Can’t believe there wasn’t already a general tennis discussion (the sport / matches themselves) thread.

Should make life easier for mods too (i.e.) Seven Tennis thread which is for the broadcast/coverage discussion.

1 Like

Go Alex De Minaur!

Slayed the first set in tonight’s Sydney International final.

A cracker set now, as opponent from Russie Medvedev lifts his game.

What a player this kid will be, next week will be intetesting.

This is some comeback match!

Bad luck Alex De Minaur, you’ll go far :clap:

1 Like

Have to laugh a little at Bencic, whinging about it now being a little heavy and humid, after asking for the roof to be closed.

It’s cold and gloomy in Melbourne today (dry and sunny from tomorrow onwards thankfully), so not sure that’ll change much.

The chair umpire waving her arms around like “what do you expect me to do, go tinker with the air con” :joy:

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Talk of boycotts and strikes, and demands for better pay, as Novak Djokovic reportedly wants to setup a player’s union. It is claimed the ATP is not adequately representing player’s welfare due to conflicting interests, having to also satisfy the demands of tournament organisers.

1 Like

The Melbourne crowd heckling a player, and Todd Woodbridge telling viewers to turn off Channel 7. Time for Melbourne and Seven to lose the tennis if they can’t respect the players?

1 Like

Dasha imploding, it’s into the stratosphere

FFS !!?

I’m sure you’re being facetious, but none the less, let’s calm down a bit eh

2 Likes

This match is crazy, wow :disappointed_relieved: Best of the comp, certainly that I’ve seen in terms of everything

Bad luck Kyrgios :pensive:

Had his chances, 3 excruciating tie break losses. But what another epic match! Kyrgios has certainly changed, will do him good, a friendly match and a great hug at the end.

Full credit to Dimitrov :clap:

And so another year with no aussies in Week 2

At least we have Groth/Hewitt in the doubles still!

1 Like

Big upsets tonight.

Tennys Sandgren & Hyeon Chung have beaten David Thiem & Novak Djokovic respectively.

New stars are born, so good for tennis, fresh blood is needed (no offence to the legends like Federer and Nadal still going strong).

Not many know this but he is an alt right supporter apparently

1 Like

What an amazing contest tonight, the shots are incredible

Poor Nadal, forced to retire in the fifth set of tonight’s clash against Cilic. Nadal was hurting towards the end of fourth set.

1 Like

Kyle EDmund also beat Grigor Dimitrov today to progress to the semi finals.

1 Like

Yes, Nadal’s health snow balled rapidly around 11pm, such a shock, sad for him.

Federer the only ‘Big 4’ remaining in Quarter Finals, first time since 2007 (which he also won).

Congratulations to Dylan Alcott on winning his 4th Australian Open Quad Singles Wheelchair title this afternoon!

5 Likes

What a match! High quality tennis here :tennis:

Seven execs must be gleaming, finally we’ve got an epic Women’s Final. Going to a 3rd set, this will be interesting, world 1 v 2.

3 Likes