Ten (WIN)

As explained above, it is a legacy of the Gold Coast falling in between the coverage areas of Brisbane and Richmond-Lismore, so it ended up with local translators for the Brisbane stations and the Lismore ones. When aggregation happened, because RTN8 had a local translator there then NBN and Prime ended up doing the same. So viewers ended up with six commercial channels.

Similar occurred on the Central Coast in NSW where they have both Newcastle/Northern NSW and Sydney stations, although IIRC the Ten affiliate (now WIN) has opted out of covering some of the central coast sites.

7 Likes

Gosford and Bouddi never had a regional 10 transmission on digital, or analogue either I think…

So WIN are effectively now sponsoring themselves?

4 Likes

In this case, WIN are now sponsoring WDT! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

This thread should be not locked if SCA buys back NRN.

It won’t be as WIN operates other Ten stations in various markets.

6 Likes

Which can be covered in the main WIN thread. The “various markets” that WIN operates its other Ten stations (not counting JVs) are the Griffith monopoly and the SA monopoly, I don’t see threads specifically for WIN’s Seven stations in those markets because there’s no real sense in having one.

2 Likes

Is there news anywhere that SCA is looking at buying back the NRN licence?

I didn’t think they had any money?

1 Like

I disagree. There just hasn’t been discussion about it. We have no issue if someone were to create a thread for Seven (WIN) discussion. I don’t think talking about Seven or Ten stuff in a thread named Nine (WIN) would be right.

4 Likes

Very doubtful as Northern NSW is a large market revenue wise. And doubtful SCA has the money.
SCA were silly to sell in the first place, but the money offer from WIN must have been too good to pass up not knowing if TEN were still going to be a going concern or not, who knows?
If anything, WIN may seek to sell NRN to TEN?

1 Like

Realistically though, would NRN make that much money compared to their competitors? I would’ve thought that NBN & NEN have the lions share of TV ad revenue in Northern NSW, with NRN getting the dregs.

6 Likes

It’s not enough to support a local news bulletin for Newcastle against 9NBN (even though they’re happy to throw money at the wall in Tasmania against 7SCA).

I imagine a lot of 10 Regional stations don’t do all that well financially including the multitude of minus figures on balance sheets for the joint ventures.

2 Likes

When the thread was named WIN that is where posts related to WIN Seven and WIN Ten were posted, including one I put there in June.

2 Likes

Maybe just have a WIN Network thread then? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

WIN’s office in the Coffs Harbour CBD is vacant. Not sure where they have moved to.

1 Like

What was their address?

Staff might be permanently WFH so the office is no longer needed.

1 Like

Considering WIN National sales look after Nine Northern NSW/NBN now, & like the WIN Newcastle office are moving in with NBN Newcastle, they might have moved into the NBN Coffs Office, though where might that be now, highly doubt WIN/NBN would stay at the SCA offices?

3 Likes

I havent read that anyone is “looking” to buy the NRN licence as such. I have read two articles from which the following can be drawn. SCA looks to lose almost $30 million a year in advertising revenue - around $200 million if they cannot secure the Seven affiliation in 2 years time. WIN has a 7 year deal with Nine. WIN has signed a 5 year deal for the WIN owned NRN licence. This indicates a reluctance to sell the NNSW operations to anyone.

Links to the articles are below for those that have not read them.

1 Like

That’s misleading, because that’s offset by paying significantly lower affiliation fees as well. According to SCA their bottom line will have minimal impact.

1 Like

The claim was made in May - well before SCA did any deal - and the figure was based on some data analysis alone (Im guessing it could have been the difference between SCA’s ad revenue and WIN’s)