Ten rampant relaunch speculation

what is on the MUX right now?

LCN 10 - TEN SD (MPEG2)
LCN 11 - Eleven SD (MPEG2)
LCN 01 / 12 - ONE SD (MPEG2)
LCN 13 - TEN HD (MPEG4)
LCN 14 - TVSN (MPEG2)
LCN 15 - SPREE TV (MPEG2 - or as I call it Waste of Data)

That is 2 multichannels and 2 datacast channels together with 2 primary channels in TEN SD and TEN HD (simulcast).

CBS Ten could easily switch off TEN SD while switch every channels over MPEG4 (AVC1/AAC) which will allow Ten SD and the 2 multi-cast channels to be made HD leaving the datacast channels are MPEG4 SD based.

Of course getting way ahead of ourselves here talking about technical specs.

The main change is a rebrand of TEN and getting rid of ELEVEN and ONE in favor of POP & possibly STARZ together with a general change of direction so TEN becomes destination programming the premium channel.

I truly am sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere, but is there any chance that WIN will follow suit?

not on the primary channel as that is still WIN and WIN HD, but for the multi-channels WIN would have to follow suit as they don’t own the rights to brand one, which could possibly explain why its WIN ONE and WIN Eleven (that or WIN really likes to play mind games and make people think its their own produce channels).

So should ELEVEN be re-branded as POP for metro then one would expect that WIN will also re-brand but it will be WIN POP.

Will they have enough content to do a relaunch? Unlike last year with something like the Big Bash final, there’s just nothing Ten really would have to launch off the back of during the summer.

You relaunch your on air look and visual presentation to try and get people to take another look at your offering - people aren’t going to do that on a channel getting 5% shares over the summer.

Unless they just do what Seven did in 2000, and flip the switch at midnight on New Years - with nothing really special backing it up.

5 Likes

There is no way it can drop off the SD Ten channel this early. People still have LCD and plasmas that dont pick up the HD MPEG transmission…so you’ll lose a lot of viewers this early.

4 Likes

Yes. WIN simply do not have the resources nowadays to brand their multi-channels independently. Whatever design and multi-channel branding Ten come up with, WIN will follow suit.

2 Likes

Also will the CBS Eye make it downunder somehow in the new logo? :thinking:

That 10 logo was used for a brief period by TEN Adelaide circa 1983/84.

true, but there are also MPEG4 and now HEVC decoders in the market place.

It would be a risk but a risk worth taking since its no log a requirement to have primary channel in MPEG2 SD (according to legislation)

Most motels and B&Bs I’ve stayed in in the past couple of years only have televisions with MPEG-2 tuners. And some friends I’ve visited still watch the SD channels when they have an MPEG-4 HD capable television. I think as long as they can watch what they want to that’s all that matters.

Highly doubtful.
A full re-brand and design like this isn’t something that is executed within 4 months. Big companies spend around a year planning a new design - from initial concepts to full execution.
If Ten had no plans to use the circle logo from the end of this year onwards (which they would have known for quite some time), they would not be ordering new uniforms, new microphone flags, and new stationary, all using the circle silhouette logo design.

5 Likes

There was an interesting anecdote on that Home and Away 30th Anniversary special about a heap of promotional T shirts being printed for the show at the end of 1988 and all of them having to be dumped because they featured the circle Seven logo at a time when the split Seven logo was about to be introduced. It seems that transition to a new logo was so hush hush the promotions department wasn’t even in the loop.

8 Likes

not true.

Depends, with SNOW being available from September 2 that shows they have ability to launch new multi-channel, WIN have elected to go into business with ANC, WIN have the network ANC have the content, its not dissimilar to Foxtel having content and using the Telstra (HFC) & Optus (HFC & Satellite) networks to get that content to broadcast market.

We will see what happens. Ive heard from good contacts that something maybe happening :+1:

If you think WIN currently have the manpower to re-voice and re-badge every program promo that comes from Ten’s multi-channels, then you clearly have rocks in your head.

1 Like

You’d be surprised the amount of waste in TV… ordering new uniforms means nothing. As for gear, it’s nothing a sticker couldn’t cover up.
If this relaunch or a new logo is happening I’d say it’s been in the works since the start of the year, which by the time it launches (IF it does), that will have been 12 months or so.

1 Like

I’m going to assume this relaunch coincides with the new Ten All Access.

Maybe Ten could be called TBS ? T from Ten and BS from CBS ? … too similar to the USA’s TBS name ?

Simple request for CBS and Ten when things finally come together: align your bug positions, please.

5 Likes

Ten Broadcasting System, does not have the same ring to it as Turner Broadcasting, maybe they can call it “SUPERSTATION TBS” …

/end note

WOuld not surprise me to see TEN HD be re positioned as LCN 01

ok thanks for your opinion, it’s clearly wrong but its your view on the matter.