Ten Pilot Week 2018

New host and more famous panellists this show MAY have potential.

The asymmetrical seating arrangements on the panel is really annyoing me. Couldn’t Sam be in the center and two either side? It’s really jarring watching it.

3 Likes

Disgrace started off a bit disjointed but it got better.

Sam was not very polished at first but he improved during the show. I think he should have been sitting in the middle of the panel, as the host.

Not sure how this can be an ongoing series though. You can’t keep talking about scandals week in, week out. Perhaps the show should have been about analysing big social topics and “Disgrace” could have been just one of them. Cover a different topic each week.

2 Likes

So agree! It’s interesting but Sam doesn’t work for me. He’s trying too hard and is not natural.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Disgrace. I thought the whole panel was excellent and Sam a great host. It has legs.

1 Like

Skit Happens :-1:
Disgrace :+1:

5 Likes

If it can work for the mags, surely it can work on TV :wink:

I felt like cutting his hands off; waving them around like he was reading QLD’s news. Maybe someone from The Project (Charlie Pickering, Rove, Gretel Kileen, Meshel Laurie or Tommy Little) could work.

I really wanted to like Skit Happens but it fell kind of flat, it missed the mark and live unpredictablity of a show like Thank God You’re Here etc.

Didn’t mind Disgrace, it has potential but not sure about Sam as the host. Wouldn’t mind seeing more to see how it could progress and improve.

2 Likes

Ooh, I like the Meshel suggestion.

Went into it not expecting much, but it is pretty watchable. They’ve struck a decent mix with the panel, it’s just a case of whether it can stack up as a weekly format.

Came in with the same mindset and left as disappointed. Not sold on the idea that relying upon stereotypes is gripping and edgy humour, and as talented as any of those performers may be it didn’t show for the most part

2 Likes

I didn’t think Skit Happens was as bad as everyone says. Some skits were great, some fell flat but generally, I think it has potential.

3 Likes

I thought the girls were great talent but the men were reduced to OTT characters and stereotypes. Comedy Inc was the best sketch show Australia has made in recent memory but did it have a laugh track? I cant remember? Does it help or hinder a show?

Yep

Disgrace is was what Nine’s ‘The Verdict’ should have been. Was good not having people talking over each other, no extreme left or rights, and no Stefanovic for once.

1 Like

Skit Happens was not funny, apart from the skit in which Heath Franklin played MasterChef judge Matt Preston.

Quite liked Skit Happens. I’d like to see an 8 episode series order to see if they can churn out the same level or if the level would decline.

Not touching Disgrace. Nothing of interest there with the political hack. Next stop will be Drunk History.

Disgrace was good. It has some real potential. I hope ten picks it up. However, Sunday nights are not right for this show.

Skit Happens wasn’t great but I do feel it has potential. It was the first episode they will figure out what viewers liked and didn’t.

2 Likes

Perhaps if you listened to her actual comments, you’d understand they were aimed at the 12 men in the picture in the newspaper article on the pilot week. “Even the viewer with the remote control was a guy” sort of gave it away really. She has spent ages on her radio show talking about it and even Dave O’Neil, one of the people part of the pilot week, hosted a few shows with her and said he knew exactly what she was referring to and he agreed with her.

5 Likes

The viewer in the photo was a woman and that was part of the original tweet and subsequent discussion.

Considering there are women involved in every show, it was weird that they chose a photo of one man from each show to represent it in that photo.

https://twitter.com/Jane_L_Kennedy/status/1020874025839427584/photo/1

2 Likes

I don’t think it was “weird”. Six of the photos were the actual host/leads of the show, and the other two are the most recognisable cast members. Yes, they are all men, and the lack of female led shows is appalling, but it’s understandable why they are featured.

2 Likes

As a Gruen fan, I didn’t mind Disgraced and would watch a weekly version. I thought it was better than Gruen though in a couple of aspects - it didn’t have a Wil Anderson monologue and it didn’t have Wil Anderson interrupting every panelist with a ‘joke’.

2 Likes