Ten On-Air Presentation

I don’t know but I don’t see the point in having “10” Just stick to the one logo.

Like a lot of other things at the network, I can only guess that the possibility of any future Network Ten rebrand has been put on hold (at least) until their “growth and transformation” process is all sorted out.

1 Like

I know it’s way too early but the good news out of Ten entering administration is that we might finally see a full rebrand when everything’s resolved.

1 Like

Because they can afford to waste money on something like that right now?

3 Likes

They do have the semi-shelved ‘10’ rebranding.

Only hoping for a rebrand IF they get a buyer who has a lot of money :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d hate for them to start a rebrand and then having to shelve the rest of it because they can’t afford it (like the ‘10’ branding which never went anywhere and apparently was meant to be the new branding for the network)

If you’re talking about a new on air graphics package - that is not really a rebrand. That is a graphics refresh. And other than applying a fresh coat of paint, it’s largely useless.

If you are talking about a brand evaluation of Ten - and how to position them in the marketplace, and a new brand mission about who they are and what they stand for - then ye s- that is money very well spent.

And really something Ten needs to do.

They need to look at who they were, who they are now and what they stand for (do they know?) and what they want to be in the future.

Right now they are seen as a failure - and all this negative publicity isn’t helping.

They need to do a massive brand evaluation and work to how they want to pitch to the consumer and industry.

What is TEN?

5 Likes

Even if the administrators could somehow be convinced to spend money on a refresh or rebrand (0% chance), there’d be no point doing so until the dust settles: Any new brand would immediately be tarnished/associated with the current problems.

A presentation refresh is due, but obviously the financial constraints mean it won’t happen soon and I’m guessing the earliest anything substantial on the presentation front happens is January (except if Ten were to be rebranded as Fox or…WIN).

1 Like

Agreed. Right now the priority is to get out of this mess and renegotiate those US output deals so Ten can cut down on expenditure.

At the moment, the problems Ten are facing are inherently structural. There are a number of different costly contracts and aspects to the business (CBS, FOX, the news division), which aren’t returning bang for their buck. The contracts are heavily overvalued, so revising them whilst under administration will potentially help the bottom line. Then, the news department will either need to be looked at, either as something which can be potentially made profitable with more hours, or something to be axed/slimmed down/merged with Sky.

Revenues at Ten have been up in recent years. The problem is expenditure and/or the fact that two media moguls forced it into administration.

4 Likes

Thats what I meant a complete rethink of the Network and its position in Australian TV (maybe with a new coat of paint as well) but I never said for them to do it now. I said when everything is resolved. Because let’s say Ten gets a brand new owner. Do people really think they would continue things under the current failed brand!

3 Likes

I don’t think the Ten brand has failed (the current ten in a circle logo has been around for ages, isn’t bad in any way, is well recognised, etc.); the One & 11 brands aren’t great but there’s nothing wrong with the Ten brand itself:
The problem is the poor rating content on the network’s channels, the overpriced US content licence agreements, and management.

2 Likes

I think today’s Australia - and specifically a younger demographic - take a more worldly view and would embrace a change to just: FOX.

2 Likes

Well summarised.

No need for re brands. Cut costs and spend in Australian content especially news

4 Likes

Why this constant need by people here to mimic American brands. Depending on where Ten ends up on ownership terms they might not wish to adopt a name more associated with a rival company (Foxtel) anyway.

Incidentally the last major rebrand of Ten to the logo we have now, was completed in 1991. When Ten was in receivership

9 Likes

Additionally, the brand FOX doesn’t necessarily have good connotations. Didn’t Foxtel just say they changed their logo because people though that FOXTEL was “quite aggressive, quite arrogant, quite elitist”? Not what a FTA broadcasters is looking for.

Here’s another example where a TV channel recently dropped the FOX part of its news branding.

Channel 25 to drop ‘Fox’ from newscast name

4 Likes

I personally can’t see any of Australia’s five main terrestrial TV networks doing radical changes to their logo or branding anytime soon. Nine did a radical change to their logo/branding back in 2006 and look at how that turned out for them - an absolute disaster which forced them to bring the dots back (albeit, in a slightly modernised form) and more traditionally Nine Network-style branding within a few years!

Some of the most loved and iconic brands both in Australia and worldwide have used basically the exact same logo (apart from maybe some very minor and barely noticeable tweaks) for decades. That is what TV networks should be aiming for with their logo/branding IMO.

While I personally wouldn’t say that Ten’s current logo is anywhere near as iconic as Nine’s dots, the ABC’s lissajous or even SBS’ current logo, I can still see it (and for that matter, Seven’s current logo) being used for decades to come…presuming that Ten as a company is around in decades time of course.

3 Likes

Exactly. The Fox brand is on the nose worldwide. There’s nothing worse than being associated to it right now…and maybe ever.

6 Likes

Take a look at the brand’s of the stations in the US. ABC, NBC, CBS have all practically had the same logo (apart from minor tweaks) for what seems like forever.

If it ain’t broken…no need to fix it. Ten’s current logo doesn’t look dated in any way, so why change it for the sake of changing it? It’s not necessarily going to fix their current situation.

4 Likes

This is the least of Ten’s concern.

6 Likes

Everything will be alright in the end :slight_smile:

Also, cobalt blue on-screen look is on trend now and would look great for Ten. Also, a hint back to late 90’s overlays:

2 Likes