Ten - On-Air Presentation (1991-94)

1991-93
Ident:

Movie Opener:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

1993-94 caps coming soon

10 Likes

Loved that ident, although I must say the Capital version was nicer.

5 Likes

1993-94

Ident:

Classification Warning:

Supertext:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

6 Likes

5/5/1991:

Promo Endtags:

5 Likes

28/3/1994:

As you might be able to tell from these caps and some of the others posted by @zampakid above, 1994 was a weird year for Network Ten. In many ways, you could say it was a very transitionary one.

There’s still some old fogie programs such as British mystery dramas on Friday nights along with Alan Jones Live and a reboot of A Country Practice. But as the 1990s approached reached their mid-way point, Ten’s On-Air Presentation and overall programming lineup (particularly during primetime - already we’re seeing promos for Seinfeld, Melrose Place and The X Files) would start to undergo a major, youth-skewed transformation.

Even hints of a relaunched news brand (without “Eyewitness”) are starting to creep in on-air with “Ten News” report signoffs + the “NEWS” text during promos and the occasional in-bulletin graphical element strongly resembling the logo which would launch in August 1994 and serve the network well for around a decade.

This major transitionary period for Ten probably reached its climax with the full launch of the “Give Me Ten” Idents & On-Air Presentation package, which I think happened in early February of 1995?

6 Likes

Other variations of the 1991-94 ID.

ADS10_1991-94

Ten_1991-94_2

Ten_1994

1 Like

Ten Regional Queensland variant (TNQ-41, 1993-94).

00_pm

Capital Television variant, 1991-94.

2 Likes

That’s Perth Promo and Closedown January 1994:

3 Likes

Haven’t seen this in years. This was when all three commercial stations in Perth had good promos and decent local programming.

The same tune used on ADS-10 for their Adelaide Proud promos. Adelaide and Perth were not owned by the Ten Network in the early 90’s

That’s right. They were owned by Charles Curran, who also owned Capital in Canberra & Southern NSW, which had its own composite news bulletin for 7 nights a week in its home market (Canberra).

Did the Ten Network O&O stations base their versions of the 1994 “That’s Ten” Idents on earlier Adelaide/Perth versions or was it the other way round? Either way, I’ve definitely seen Sydney, Melbourne and Queensland versions before.

Various caps from Ten Perth

Saturday 21/11/1992
PRG:

Home Alone 2 Movie Pass comp:

Promo Endtags:

Monday 22/8/1994
PRG:

Promo Endtags:

Start the Night Right Promo:

Commonwealth games Ident:

Sunday 25/9/1994
Sunday Movie Opener:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

6 Likes

November 21, 1992 to be exact. Ten’s “Home Alone Sunday” was the 22nd - although somehow I’d imagine that more were tuning into Nine for Ghost that night! :wink:

Conan The Barbarian on the Monday might’ve been a Ten Perth variant to the schedule.

Is it just me or is the style of that ident not disimilar in style to many of the 1995 “Give Me Ten” Idents?

The Movie Promo Endtags from that recording a month later also seem to be an early hint of the next generation of Channel Ten On-Air Presentation… :thinking:

3 Likes

Just thought I’d let @digitaldan (Who’s recent YouTube uploads I’ve quite enjoyed, BTW! :slight_smile:) know that this particular recording is from 17/2/1991:

Side note: Must remember to dig out the Ten Sydney recording I have from this night (which is of Working Girl + the start of the Lotto Challenge rugby league match between Newcastle & Balmain from Bundaberg) and post some caps from that soon.

7 Likes

As promised earlier. Channel Ten Sydney - Sunday February 17, 1991.

Promo Endtags:

Ten Sport Ident:

“Lotto Challenge” Rugby League Sponsor Billboards:

5 Likes

Someone explain what 10 and Carmel Travers we’re trying to achieve with this sports set on its first at 5 news in 94?

Was meant to post these earlier but couldn’t due to the three posts in a row limit, so here they are now! :slight_smile:

Channel Ten Sydney - Saturday September 11, 1993.

As per a recent post from @Zampakid, the movie Point Break had it’s Australian FTA premiere on Ten but Seven would pick up the rights by the end of the 1990s. Also, you’d probably most expect to see Agatha Christie’s Appointment With Death on 9Gem these days!

With all the sporting gear in the background, perhaps a “mancave” look?

4 Likes

Maybe, I’m not sure I need to look into that. Travers was certainly innovative but after reading Mal Waldens book, she seems very questionable.

T-E-N That’s Entertainment Promo…including Closedown 1992

7 Likes

Pretty quick closedown there.

1 Like