Classification

And I reckon Goldeneye is another breach if someone complained. I don’t know how that scene can be PG

Or this scene

2 Likes

Saw a promo for the Amazon Prime stand up comedy series during Studio 10 this morning. I was surprised to hear Celia Pacquola saying “shit” in the promo at that time of the morning.

Is that level of swearing allowed during the day now?

2 Likes

Yes because Studio 10 is rated PG.

From that SMH article posted earlier

Some of the words on the Australian Classification Board’s coarse language guide

Word Indicative classification
Arse/A-hole/Arsehole PG
Balls PG or M
Bastard PG
Bullshit PG
Bum G
Crap PG
C–t (and “cunny”) MA15+
Dickhead PG
Douchebag PG
Effing G or PG
F–k M
Jerk G
Knob PG
Motherf–ker M or MA15+
Nuts G
Piss/Pissed/Piss off PG
Screw PG; or M if in a sexual context
Shit PG
Slut PG or M
Wanker PG
9 Likes

Arsenal - G
Scunthorpe (scunny) - G

… and numerous other European towns.

5 Likes

Reminds me of when Top Gear went to Penistone…
https://imgur.com/lM6Lt8E.jpg

5 Likes

I saw this recently. Ten must have butchered it to hell to give it a G rating.

1 Like

Is it not G unedited?

Should be PG (or PGR back then). OFLC gave it PG

Sadly butchering movies was common practice back then.

1 Like

I didn’t realise NZ still had those classifications. Australis ditched them in 1993 :wink:

6 Likes

Also the same year our Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC), now known as the Classification Board, overhauled the classifications for theatrical release movies and home entertainment VHS. The “MA15+” classification was introduced, to signify content that was “strong in impact” (exceeding M’s “moderate” but not meeting R18+'s “high” - the latter the strongest before being banned “refused classification” / “very high”).

1 Like

Another instance of differences in classification.

Tonight’s Season 2 Episode 15 (2004) episode “Wannabe” of Without A Trace on 7Two given “MA15+ Some Violence, Strong Adult Themes” by Seven

But the Classification Board only gave the DVD release of this episode “M” back in 2005. This classification has held and been available to Seven for 15 years

By way of background, the content involved a child vanishing from a school bathroom and the FBI investigating, in a bullying/mental health storyline.

FTA has always seemed to tread very carefully and rather harsh when it comes to serious thematic content dealing with kids! There were two scenes that stood out: 1) a photo of a 12 year old boy half-naked bound and gagged and dirtied 2) the final scene where he attempts suicide by hanging (seen but meticulously handled, slowed down and inter-cut with flashbacks from the episode).

Any thoughts? Rare when an uncut/non-edited movie or TV episode’s classification is different, even rarer when it goes higher!

NB/ Good though to see networks still taking classification seriously and carefully, viewing individual episodes in full (which they’d of have to have done to come to that classification), even if an old TV show re-run on a multi-channel.

2 Likes

Although network management don’t take a kind view to classification, seeing it as an unnecessary cost, as seen with its poor on the corner presentation these days, the few people involved locally have been actually quite experienced and do quite well in classifying content.

Other than a handful of times that I though Ten were a bit lapse with some show episodes, I have had pretty much no complaints about individual program classifications.

2 Likes

Perhaps that episode wasn’t reviewed as thoroughly for the DVD release in 2005. (People make mistakes.)

1 Like

Doubtful. This is the whole thing… Different interpretations by different people of the legalisation and the ‘impact test’ of each classification.

1 Like

In New Zealand, the Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA) today announced new guidelines to protect younger viewers from potentially harmful content seen on free-to-air television.

They have made some changes to classifications as the old G, PGR and AO labels are replaced with the more detailed G, PG, M, 16 and 18 labels, which are already used on pay television.

Some timebands have also been adjusted, but the 8.30pm watershed remains in place.

• Programmes classified G or PG may screen at any time
  • Programmes classified M may screen between 9am-3pm on weekdays (except during school and public holidays), and after 7.30pm until 5am
  • Programmes classified 16 may screen after 8.30pm until 5am
  • Programmes classified 18 may screen after 9.30pm until 5am

More information can be found by visiting the BSA’s safeviewing.co.nz website.

To coincide with the change of classifications on free-to-air television in New Zealand, I have created a set of audience advisory screens using Microsoft PowerPoint (examples only).

It shows the PG, M, 16 or 18 label and the audience advisory symbol(s), telling viewers about the type of content the programme contains (i.e. coarse language, violence, sexual references/sex scenes or distressing/offensive content such as nudity, drug use and adult themes) or if the content is likely to disturb children or be outside audience expectations.

10 Likes

18 sounds like the equivalent of our R18+.

There’s no reason why R18+ content shouldn’t be allowed on FTA anymore. Networks should have pushed for this years ago.

18 is the equivalent of AV isn’t it?

1 Like

@Aurora @Sifon In New Zealand, 18 is an equivalent of the old AV classification seen on Australian free-to-air television or the R18 classification in films and on pay television.

Programmes classified 18 contain themes which may be challenging or offensive even to some adult viewers, and may only be screened after 9.30pm until 5am. In my book, most programmes with the 18 classification may be edited for content.

1 Like

Is there a reason why school holiday classification rules haven’t been in place over the past few weeks in states where children have been learning from home (such as Victoria)?

While I know it’s not a school holiday period, just find it odd that M-rated content is being allowed to air during the day in this period when the notion behind having different rules is that children shouldn’t be exposed to such content.

1 Like

school students shouldnt be watching m rated content in the day time anways , there suppsoed to be doing school work. so why should it matter

1 Like