Ten News First Presenters and Reporters

If only they could keep Michael Schulz for Perth. He’s the best weather presenter in Perth and it would be a shame to see him leave.

2 Likes

That’s some good news at least with both remaining with the network.

2 Likes

Think Kate is presenting in Melbourne and Adelaide.

The possibility of Monika presenting Perth news from Sydney isn’t too bad, but if the reports are correct that she was made redundant then I doubt it.

1 Like

Also very sad that Mike Larkan wasn’t also kept on by the network!
But looking on the bright side Josh and Kate have a job.
I’ve only ever seen Josh and Kate presenting on weekend national bulletin and liked both,so hopefully Kate is embraced by Melbourne viewers.

9 Likes

Very sad that 10 couldn’t give Mike another role somewhere (maybe on one of their lifestyle shows).

I do like Josh (even from his Weather Channel days) and Kate (as someone who lives in Adelaide) as presenters so I’m glad they’re staying.

5 Likes

Yes - fixed that.

1 Like

Well, Kate and Josh were made redundant (Kate posted a farewell in her social channels) so they are willing to reverse the decisions. But, Monika would be too costly. They would be crazy not to give Narelda the Perth news… she is already in Sydney.

1 Like

She has already been announced as the news reader on Studio 10. So highly unlikely unfortunately.

2 Likes

It’s all about keeping the Younger Talent while Eliminating the Older More Expensive People that haves a lot during the Years, I know 10 are in another Round of Cutbacks, but that’s Life and things will change.

That doesn’t even make sense. Jennifer Keyte and Sandra Sully are both more senior (for a lack of a better word) talents you’re talking about and they’re staying. Rebecca Morse is fairly young but was made redundant. It has nothing to do with old and young. It’s about centralising production to two cities.

3 Likes

I have to say I’m surprised by this announcement, I genuinely thought 10 would hire externally based on making them all redundant and what their press release said about a single meteorologist.

But Kate and Josh are both good talent and maybe they think will skew a little younger than the older Tim/Michael/Mike types and are probably cheaper.

Interesting that both are willing to make the move interstate, but I guess it’s either that or remain unemployed during these uncertain times where media jobs are few and far between.

4 Likes

Don’t know they necessarily will move interstate?

Adelaide weather is presented on location at the moment and Melbourne weather could be done from Adelaide newsroom or generic outdoor setting. Same for Brisbane too, I suppose. On location for Brisbane and Adelaide will at least retain some sort of ‘local’ feeling to the bulletins.

I wonder if Josh and Kate have taken pay cuts to stay on with the network.

Re Narelda: Even if she has been announced as Studio 10 newsreader, they’d get much better value putting her on Perth News. Anyone can slot into Studio10 news which is arguably far less important.

6 Likes

Exactly, they have/can re-purpose a screen for a video wall in the Adelaide/Brisbane studio and present it from there.

As much as I agree with you, they will want a set and consistent team so audiences know who will be on and can bond with them.

1 Like

I’ve got no doubt they would be on less than they previously were.

i reckon that Kate will switch between Ade/Melb for “localised” OBs (but remain primarily in Melb)

Kate probably will move after lockdown (next year). Josh could move now.

3 Likes

Will these be pre-recorded inserts? This combined Brisbane/Sydney bulletin sounds like a disaster and god knows how the Melb/Adel Bulletin will work.

Live should be the bare minimum. Any of these opt outs and nonsense like that will detract from the quality and local feel.

I cannot see why they are closing down Adel and Perth given their facilities are relatively new. When all of this is a disaster will they move back to these studios in 5 years time. They did it before so certainly can do it again.

They’ll be apartments by that time.

Why would either of them move? For what we think will probably be pre recorded weather segments they can do from the cities they’re in now, package up and send over for inserting?

Hardly the once-in-a-career gig to relocate interstate for unless either of them feel like a change of scenery.

The article says quite clearly that both presenters are relocating to Sydney.

2 Likes