Ten News First Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

On the Daily Bailey Weather Wall, the forecast where you get it all!

They are firing it out of a cannon on WIN:

Incidentally, the same person contributed both photos of Wollongong:

3 Likes

The sooner that Ten finally realise that Sydney viewers prefer a weather presenter who delivers straight and to the point weather forecasts (which the likes of David Brown, Amber Sherlock and Graham Creed are providing viewers on the other three news bulletins in town), the better.

Really, I’m sure Tim Bailey is a decent enough person but when you go on about irrelevant topics for 2-3 minutes and often have to hurry though the actual forecast (you know, the bit that viewers actually expect from weather presenters) so the bulletin actually ends on time (and in the past, there have been occasions when the bulletin has ended mid-sentence due to Tim Bailey’s forecasts!), then you aren’t a very good weather presenter!

1 Like

Are you trying to say that giving a holiday away to the Cook Islands isn’t relevant to the average Sydneysider and the weather?

1 Like

While what you say might be a widely held opinion on this forum, there isn’t any evidence to support it. Without a minute, by minute ratings breakdown, we don’t know if the weather is one of the highest rated parts of Ten’s Sydney bulletin or not.

1 Like

I would’ve thought the fact that the news bulletins of Seven, Nine and ABC all rate consistently higher in Sydney than Ten’s is good enough evidence that local viewers aren’t a fan of the weather segment or indeed the news service in general.

Of course the timeslot is a not insignificant reason that Ten is the lowest rating of Sydney’s four news services too, but the point still stands.

I don’t know how you can possibly use the average ratings for the full hour of a 5pm, 2 x 6pm and a 30 minute 7pm bulletin to compare the weather presenters. So many more things are going on there. I doubt there is anyone who chooses which to watch based on the weather presenter.

3 Likes

Sounded like he was trying to advertise “Sunrise” in that segment now lol

2 Likes

I’m all for giving away a trip to the Cook Islands. However, the issue is so much time is spent showing photos and Bailey singing jingles that often the actual weather is rushed - blink and you’ll miss it. A photo or 2, fine and dandy but some days it stretches out to 5 photos with a jingle for each. It’s a weather bulletin, make the weather the focal point not an add on.

2 Likes

It would be good if they got Magdalena Roze back whilst Amanda was on leave. Unfortunately, that would be highly unlikely.

5 Likes

Amanda is 25 weeks pregnant now, so over the 6 month mark. They still have about 2 months or so roughly (depending on how long she can work up until) to find a maternity leave fill-in. My guess is that they will just promote either Amanda Hart or Melinda Nuicifora to 2 days weather on the weekend and a couple of days during the week general reporting rather than hire externally for the position.

4 Likes

It came across me yesterday that Mike Larkin has been at TEN for a long time now. Does anyone think he would ever be used as a bulletin presenter, or fill in?

1 Like

No. I get the impression he’s happy doing what he is doing.

1 Like

Tim “Daily” Bailey has also been at Ten for a long time now, but I think using him just as a fill-in newsreader on a bulletin would be about as likely to happen as Seven News Sydney using Damien Smith or Nine News Sydney using Mike Dalton fill-in newsreaders! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The only day I could see Bailey anchoring is if it’s April Fools Day :stuck_out_tongue:

If Wikipedia is a accurate reference Mike joined Melbourne team in 1996.

1 Like

I believe so. Around the same time that Mal Walden and Jennifer Hansen took over as newsreaders after the sudden departure of David Johnston (to Seven), and Marie Louise Thiele going back to TVQ10.

2 Likes

Mike Larkan presented afternoon News Updates during 2010

1 Like

Ten News Melbourne Wikipedia page does tell an intriguing story…

I find it weird how Mal, Helen, George & Hermione are ALL gone within 5 years

2 Likes

It certainly is interesting when u consider Nine and Seven news in Melbourne, having mainly had the same presenters for over 10 years!

1 Like