Ten News First Content and Appearance

Should’ve been a live cross to the new presenters at the end of the bulletin.

Kinda introduces them etc.

1 Like

Can you really blame the individual stations (TVQ, ADS and NEW in particular) for wanting to emphasise the fact it was the final locally produced bulletin when there are many people there - both in front of the camera and behind the scenes - about to lose their jobs?

I might live in Sydney, but think it’s nothing short of a tragedy that there’s now a major TV network in metropolitan areas of Australia which aren’t producing live and locally produced bulletins for the market, in the market.

Perhaps Brisbane will still be kept busy enough with the kids shows, but Ten in Adelaide & Perth are pretty much going to be reduced to news bureaus/offices. Pathetic!

7 Likes

No I can’t blame them at all. Absolutely not.

But In the interest of the continued success of 10 News Firsy they should have held off. As hard as that may have been. They should have crossed live to Sandra etc and introduced her.

When I was let go from my job of 8 years I was never afforded the opportunity to say goodbye to my team. My colleagues. It’s the way things go.

Caps / Content solely from yesterday have been moved to the Ten News Centralisation thread for archiving purposes.

Read the Ten News Centralisation thread and all your questions will be answered.

1 Like

Ultimately it’s very sad these reporters and staff have paid the price for management incompetence over a decade or longer now.

The days of putting out 1 bulletin a day and being able to make money out of it went out the door a long, long time ago. It’s simply not a sustainable business model. It’s gone the way of the newspaper. You couldn’t get away with putting out a newspaper now and having no website. You can have flagship bulletins, sure but you can’t put up a bulletin and say we’re done. You need an online presence, build stories across the day through different bulletins and amortise costs that way while building a brand. Ten might have posted news content on social media and had those Facebook Watch bulletins but it was never a harmonised approach. And it’s bloody difficult to make money on social unless you are linking back to your own website and making ad revenue that way.

If viewers don’t find your news at 5pm, you’ve lost them for that day. Whereas Nine or Seven have several hours of content on air (bulletins and breakfast shows) plus big online presences. Is it cheap? No, of course it’s not. Might they have to cut newsroom jobs too? Perhaps. Will it help them survive longterm? Absolutely.

23 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ten News Centralisation 2020

Ten News First: Quantity over Quality

1 Like

They don’t really have the time.

Nine and Seven offer 6-7 hours of news programming a day excluding Today Extra/The Morning Show

10 offers 1.5 hours excluding Studio 10…

3 Likes

But for Seven and Nine it’s the same stories repeated throughout the day, at 11am then 4pm then in another repeat of headlines at 4.30 then join us at 6pm for the same stories again plus that one story we’ve promoted all day and will hold back (it’s so important) until 6:55pm. :wink:

6 Likes

And sometimes at 10:30, or 11:00, or, well you get the idea…

1 Like

Caught the tail end of a news promo in Adelaide. Final words were “we have the time to tell it. Adelaide’s 10 News First” with a footage collage of presenters and reporters, ending with the Adelaide title card. I guess nobody told the ad programmers…

I’m guessing it was voiced by Jennifer Keyte.

Nope. A male V/O.

1 Like

National bulletin:

Perth bulletin:

7 Likes

Is Perth getting a seperate bulletin or just Sydney/Brisbane’s with local stories added. Would be compensation for not having a local presenter part of the lineup.

They are getting a dedicated bulletin.

I’m still a bit confused how the SYD/BNE bulletin will work in daylight savings time. Wondering if Sandra will read the bulletin for 2 and half hours…

Probs was always the case…like weekends.

I’m assuming Sydney and Melbourne ( the largest markets) will have a complete live bulletin throughout the 90 minutes.

Brisbane and Adelaide will receive the first 10 mins of a prerecorded rundown (filmed 30 mins prior to going to air). Both Brisbane and Adelaide will then join the live portion of the combined bulletin after the first add break. They will stay as a combined bulletin up until they receive a prerecorded sport and weather package per their market.

I’m not too sure how 10 will deal with Brisbane during daylight savings as it will be difficult to prerecord intros etc with a 90 minute live bulletin being played into Sydney at the time.

I can guarantee you, this won’t be smooth sailing. Expect massive mistakes and the wrong packages being played.

7 Likes