Ten News First Content and Appearance

In what way?

10 News First was third yesterday with Hot Seat and The Chase beating them by big margins in overall ratings.

10 is only achieving 380,000 viewers in the 5 metros recently… The national weekend bulletins often perform worse than weekdays.

2 Likes

WIN must be pissed with all this pre-recorded nonsense and how it’ll affect their already destroyed news ratings.

Surely, they’d be better off producing their own 5pm news in conjunction with Sky News? I’d say they should take Sky’s 5pm offering, but found out it’s “The Kenny Report” :thinking:

Probably more affecting their QLD bulletins than NSW and VIC.

1 Like

5-530

Noted

Yes, it’ll have minimal affect in NSW/ACT and VIC.

…because the early evening ratings of WIN are probably already low in NSW/ACT and Victoria?

Of course, it won’t be overly surprising if most of WIN News’ remaining viewers (especially in Queensland) switch over to alternatives which do provide them a relevant mix of local, state, national & international content as a result of the reformatted 10 News First.

1 Like

Yes, WIN News ratings are at low figures and it’s probably even amazing they’re still committed to full local news bulletins.

I mean if you live in Townsville and it’s 5.45pm, would you rather watch ‘The Chase Australia’ (Seven), a regional bulletin with stories about robberies on the Sunshine Coast (Nine) or a pre-recorded mess which may include stories about Sydney-centric sports or Sydney weather? (WIN).

1 Like

Just watched the second-last local Perth bulletin.

It is a real shame it has come to this, not just for Perth, but Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne, not to mention loss of both local and technical talent from both behind the desk, on the set, and within the control rooms from each state.

I will miss the qualities the local Perth bulletin had that made it enjoyable to watch. Since Monika Kos took over from Narelda heading over east last year, she really settled into the role well, and her past experience with Seven and Today Tonight coupled with professionalism was evident when presenting.

Tim Gossage’s vast Sport knowledge and occasional humour within stories (his pronunciation of the Perth Wiiildcats) was funny (to me at least), and it was nice to see the occasional banter with him and Monika just before the break.

Some people may find Michael Schultz presenting style a little boring, but I always enjoyed how comprehensive and descriptive it was, and his crosses to the local RSPCA to see the animals will be missed.

Not to mention with the bulletin being LIVE, there was a update towards the end of Sports in the first half related to an Eagles player being injured during tonight’s AFL game.

It will be sad to watch the final bulletin from their Subiaco studios. What made ‘Team 10 Perth’ is soon to be no more.

13 Likes

the thing that works in Perth is they all like each other. They all get in on the banter, even Schultzy gets in on it, one of the most serious blokes around. It’s fun to watch, it has been since i can remember.

The difference between 7, 9 and 10 here is the chemistry. 7 and 9 feel a bit stilted (9 moreso than 7), where 10 is flowing banter and often either Goss, Mon or NJ would have a jab at each other.

let’s not let this go unheard, this man has singlehandedly rehomed so many dogs (in the dozens) in his time at 10. people could not like Tim or Mike because of their antics, but Schultzy knows the weather and when he’s out and about also has fun with it.

He has done so many crosses to the RSPCA and Cat Haven, plus other community causes that may not have otherwise had the deserved attention.

It was a tight-knit team and that’s what made it so good.

2 Likes

I’m surprised they haven’t got Sky to produce a national 5pm bulletin for them yet

I know right? Sky News has reporters in all the state/territory capitals and places like Gold Coast and Townsville, plus a fully staffed Parliament House Canberra team. If they mixed in video stories from Ten, WIN and Fox Sports News and copy from News Corp papers (like Daily Telegraph but even regional dailies like Townsville Bulletin or Geelong Advertiser), they’d have a pretty good 5PM state or national bulletin you would think?

In some ways, I’m thinking the same. What is the point in having half arsed prerecorded / semi live bulletins? They may as well just do a full national bulletin and be done with it.

Clearly the network and its new owners are not interested in news.

1 Like

Brisbane’s penultimate bulletin:

4pm Updates:

Bulletin:

I don’t include the 6pm rehash in the montage.

4 Likes

Theres nothing half armed about it to be honest.

It is fun to read all the wild theories here, and the nonsensical mock schedules. I’m just not seeing the massive dip in ratings you all think will happen… look at those national Christmas bulletins in years past as an example.

4 Likes

That is not the point.
The point is they need to be all live and presented from the city they are broadcasting in with authentic local broadcasters to connect with their city.

5 Likes

We’re just trying to guess what will happen - clearly it seems 10 doesn’t realise the bigger picture

That’s a completely different scenario.

1 Like

No. They don’t.
Yes, it makes. Yes, it’s logical. Yes, it’s the best thing to do.
But they don’t need to.

Or 10 doesn’t care.

You’re right. There will be double if not triple the amount of journos working compared to those bulletins… so the continuation of local stories will still remain.

1 Like

They might as well scrap the whole news brand if they don’t care

2 Likes

Don’t wish too hard, that’s clearly next.

1 Like