Ten News First Content and Appearance

The internet would be faster. But 10 News hasn’t figured out how it works yet.

12 Likes

It’s a lose-lose scenario either way IMO. If viewers switch off 10 News First with the demise of locally produced bulletins, the declining ratings will likely be used as an excuse for even more cutbacks in the future.

Hopefully they’ve at least had the fax and telex machines serviced so they can keep up with events north of the border.

1 Like

No way they have a fax machine at 10. They’ve only just installed the telegram wires!

1 Like

At this point I’d rather see 10 News forget “local” news and reallocate resources:

• go national 5-6.30
  • launch 1 hour primetime news at 9pm
  • launch a breakfast show

5 minute local windows at 5.10, 5.40, 6.10, 9.10

And launch an online news service. Where most Aussies get their news now

2 Likes

I don’t think so. ViacomCBS in London would have given direction for $X to be cut from budgets

10 execs in Sydney would have decided where to cut that $ from

Pointless. The brand is destroyed.

The Adelaide and Perth bulletins were done relatively cheap and still no ROI (they were controlled in Melbourne) so I doubt they would invest into additional bulletins.

I do think Studio 10 could try an earlier time slot but the new host with Sarah is a terrible choice. A lot of viewers are starting to flick over to Nine at breakfast time so maybe 10 should do some research on what the demands are.

Also 5 minute local news windows in a metro city? This isn’t Channel 9 Darwin, just do a whole bulletin.

With another hour of news on The Project that makes 3.5 hours out of 5. Are you turning 10 into a news channel?

I’d seriously consider ditching the 5pm first half hour, it’s so outside prime time and putting Bold there wouldn’t make much of a difference. 5.30-6.30 would be snappier and work better in the long term, especially with consolidated bulletins.

If they did this properly they’d do ATV and TEN local news and then a national bulletin for the rest of the country from Sydney or Melbourne.

1 Like

I don’t think so. 10 news first still out rates most of 10’a post 9pm lineup

No, a viable network for 2025 and beyond. Whete drama, scripted and US content does not work. Where news does. And where costa are spread increasingly thin.

That ship has sailed now. Better to look to the future rather than backwards

There are more viewers watching FTA at 5pm than in later prime time slots these days. Prime Time is more like 5pm to 10.30pm these days rather than 6pm-midnight.

I think ratings measurements need to be adjusted by OzTam these days so prime time is 5pm-11pm.

2 Likes

I didn’t suggest another bulletin right now, clearly they’re not interested. Just returning to an hour bulletin and doing it 5.30-6.30 makes more sense to build their nightly audience.

Agree, would like to see the below:

500pm - Game Show

530pm - Ten News First (local 15 minute “bulletin” for each market (Mel/ Ade from Melbourne with Jennifer Keyte & Syd/ Bri/ Per from Sydney with Sandra Sully)

Adelaide & Brisbane both pre-recorded “bulletins”

545pm - Ten News First (continuation of the initial bulletin but now live into all markets, content shifts from hyper-local in the first “bulletin” or segment into a more national focus, including local sport and weather inserts)

600pm - Ten News First National (Sandra Sully from Sydney, national content focus with a shift to more international news after the first segment)

630pm - The Project

1 Like

Why?

There are already 2 game shows at 5. That would require big set up costs. And 10s news regular wins 5-530

Why mess with what’s been stable at 5 for 25 years?

Also, get rid of Ten News “First”, clearly no longer First with anything in this scenario.

Ten News will suffice - talk to the individual city in the first bulletin "Ten News Melbourne, Ten News Sydney etc) and brand 6pm as Ten News National. Make it a point of difference, only commercial national news at 6pm, Sandra Sully factor, the flashy Sydney set etc etc - can’t rate worst than the 300k odd they are getting currently with local bulletins at 6pm into each market!? Make a point of a longer style feature story each night into the second half of this bulletin… throw to The Project… try something!

2 Likes

Big enough set up costs for them to re-introduce Family Feud for a few Sunday Night’s recently as a filler but not for a new constant new program? Doubt it

If adding 30 minutes to the end of the traditional 5pm bulletin at 6pm can rate higher than the content they previously had at this time, why can’t a good game show format rate and take away some eyeballs from the competition at 5pm? More likely for this to work than what they are currently doing by airing extended news against the big boys at 6pm…

They’ve messed with everything else and as mentioned previously the 5pm News isn’t what it was… it is largely irrelevant now

There are already two very popular game shows at 5

What game show format are you suggesting?

News at 6 out-rates about 5 failed game show formats

1 Like

It wins its slot