Ten News First Content and Appearance

I think we all anticipated this last month when it was announced. There is clearly no other way of doing these so called “Combined” local bulletins. Brisbane and Adelaide have really been treated 2nd class here.

2 Likes

I can understand them cutting Adelaide and Perth given how small their markets are, but it seems really bizarre to cut Brisbane.
It will really suffer in the summer months

1 Like

I believe Perth and Brisbane are very similar size markets.

3.4m to 2.1m

Brisbane market over 61% bigger

NNSW market is also bigger than Perth market at 2.2m

(Gold Coast is included in both the NNSW and Brisbane TV markets)

2 Likes

Yeah really odd they couldn’t keep Brisbane, screams of overseas calls being made.

Where did you get that from? Brisbane has around 2.6 million and Perth is 2.1 million? Adelaide is 1.4 million. Compared to Melbourne (5.1 million) and Sydney (5.3million)

Does the Brisbane TV market take into account the Gold Coast and Sunshine Cost?

TV Market sizes according to OzTAM

4 Likes

No idea what happens to 6pm at this stage.

Gold Coast is in Brisbane’s TV market, but I only think most of Sunshine Coast is. Think they can only get WIN etc only in the Noosa area but could be wrong.

For most of Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast there is an overlap with regional.

Brisbane’s bulletin will be a 2nd class citizen here though.

Oztam. The official market sizes. Melbourne bigger than Sydney too

Both Brisbane and NNSW include Gold Coast

I don’t think sim coast is included

1 Like

A lot of people forget that “Greater Geelong” (approx 250,000 people) is included in Melbourne Metro for TV market purposes, hence why Melbourne is Australia’s largest TV market.

Not the same case for Sydney and Newcastle, Central Coast I believe.

In terms of general population size, however, Greater Geelong is not counted as a part of Greater Melbourne whereas the Central Coast population is included in Greater Sydney’s population.

If you look at Greater Sydney v Greater Melbourne alone, Melbourne has a larger population than Sydney - this has been the case for a few years now.

At the end of the day, it’s not really about the relative market sizes. After all, smaller markets are still good for advertisers in targeted demographics.
This is just blatant cost cutting, and it sucks.

I believe the majority of people here are bewildered to see an area of television that’s typically regarded with a higher level of ethics, treated in this manor.

7 Likes

As far as I’m aware, OzTAM does include the NSW Central Coast (local council up there has around 340k residents, but of course I’ve got no idea whether all of them receive metro TV) as part of the Sydney metropolitan TV market.

Newcastle & the Hunter is firmly in Regional TV territory, so too Wollongong and the Illawarra.

Pre-recorded intros?

The whole A block will be taped for air. That’s 12-14 minutes.

1 Like

Assume it would have to be the first half hour in Adelaide, otherwise they’d be clashing with a Melbourne bulletin doing the 5:30 recap and going into sport and weather. Melbourne 6pm/Adeliade 5:30pm will presumably be live to both cities. Will be interesting to see if they do a live half hour in Adelaide at 6pm - they should.

Something like this might be how they do Adelaide: Half an hour pre-recorded, 15 mins combined bulletin, 15 min pre-recorded sport/weather and last half an hour live Adelaide only.

Interesting question.

We know the networks must broadcast a minimum of news per day, but do the commercial TV stations (within the metro areas) need to broadcast local news to each market, as per their tv licences? If so, this could be the only reason why they haven’t (and cannot) go with 1 national bulletin.

We know in 2001 regional tv markets require to follow this news charter. I think this might be the only reason why 10 is still continuing (in some form) with local news.

I don’t believe there is any requirement for any TV service to broadcast news. Regional TV has quotas for local content, but it doesn’t have to be news; though news gets double points compared to other content under the quota system. There aren’t any local quotas for metro stations news or otherwise.

1 Like

What horrendous bulletins these will be. Hours of old delayed news. I guess people could live without it not being broadcast out of the state but to not have it live is a travesty. It is also so tacky.

14 Likes

So viewers can switch off and let the ratings speak for them. If viewers stay with it, then they don’t care.

2 Likes

Queensland viewers would be better served getting their news from the internet or carrier pigeon rather than relying on Ten’s stale stuff piped up from Sydney.

7 Likes