Ten News First Content and Appearance

And these are some of the lowest rating programs of the day (if you compare to the 6:00pm news figures). Most of them have been national since they were put on-air. 10 News hasn’t.

Viewers won’t be better off with a national bulletin. Probably worse off than what they are now.

Really? Other than the giant things like Master, married and Lego - seven and nines 6 and 630 News is often the top
Shows of the night In demos - as is the project and ACA

What shows does 10 have that are better demo performing options at 9.30?

Agreed.

While I could imagine Seven & Nine being happy enough to wait and see how the reformatted 10 News First bulletin(s) for Sydney/South East QLD + Melbourne/Adelaide go over several weeks and months before making any longterm programming decisions, I think they’d very quickly turn those local 4pm bulletins into 5pm ones if Ten went entirely national at 5pm weeknights.

Well they are daytime and late night. So with low viewing audiences yes of course they rate lower. But the breakfast shows are all national.

I actually think Australians would be much better served by a high quality national news cast like Other nations have, rather than this copy and paste pretend to try and be local 3rd version of local news

The second form of news we already have (hyper local) the first form (high quality network style) we don’t have.

I’d never suggest national news at 9.30. I envisaged moving the local services to late prime (9pm or 9.30pm. National news NEVER rates as high as local news. In relation to Melbourne, has viewership dropped at all since the changes?

1 Like

I wouldn’t suggest moving the news from 5 either.

The problem is as we’ve seen running 5 local news services when you output 1 bulletin a day and Don’t Have online not financially viable. So moving the 5pm locals to 930 doesn’t change anything

Yes national news would rate lower.
But costs would be lower still. Better ROI

Yes but Ten would be the least likely network to do a high quality national bulletin like ABC World News Tonight or ITV News At Ten.

I imagine a national bulletin weeknights at Ten would be low brow. Full of Entertainment stories and political stories written like Daily Mail articles.

Sunday and Nightline (when Jim Whaley hosted) was probably the pinnacle of the high quality commercial TV news movement in Australia.

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes as they have no vision.

But I don’t see entertainment news and daily Mail. They don’t do that now. I just see a boring standard 11am type bulletin. Nothing innovative

1 Like

I’ve seen another Melbourne/Adelaide bulletin on Thursday and to be honest it still hasn’t improved. The transition is still not smooth and it just feels very stilted and robotic. The presenters are great but are let down by the presentation of the bulletin.

Frankly even though Nine’s 5pm bulletin is an ‘afternoon’ bulletin it is still a far superior product than 10’s flagship bulletin. Not to mention Seven and Nine’s 6pm bulletin.

4 Likes

The networks have conditioned everyone to essentially switch off after the reality shows finish at 8.30. Trying to set “appointment” news viewing at 9.00, while I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad idea in principle, would be fruitless. It would also have to rely on a consistent schedule so that it always started at the same time each night. None of this moving around like 9.05, 9.20, 9.45, 8.45, 9.12 business that would be most likely to happen.

4 Likes

It’s only ‘fruitless’ because none of the commercial networks are making an effort trying to get viewers to stick around. If they did (regardless of whether it’s trying a primetime news bulletin or something else), viewers wouldn’t switch-off in droves as they currently do.

To be blunt, the networks are reaping what they sow

3 Likes

Exactly. And it’s only a recent trend.

Credits @SamSamTV
Before throwing to the break for weather (both Melb/Adl), Kate is now on the screen. (Although no interaction with her)

8 Likes

I guess it’ll be like that until Kate relocates to Melbourne, then we’ll probably see her in the studio interacting with Jen and Quarters.

8 Likes

I don’t think I can post the actual figures due to OzTAM restrictions, but the Adelaide audience for 10 News First (first week of Jennifer Keyte presenting) was 14,000 lower than the week before.

3 Likes

Or out on location :grin:

Another stuff up on Melbourne tonight. Kate, looking ahead to next weeks weather, said “A cold first week of the school holidays ahead”. The first week in Victoria was this week.

6 Likes

The problem with this format.
Presenters who don’t know the region.

3 Likes

The whole thing about is a bloody problem.

4 Likes

Tonight was an interesting test of the centralised news presentation for Brisbane.

Nine Brisbane opened at 6pm with breaking news about someone being shot with an arrow. Included cross to reporter and interview with witness.

Seven’s opened with a brief mention of the story and returned later at 6:27.

I was a bit surprised that 10 had a report (near the beginning of the 6pm segment) - it was read only with no vision. They probably wouldn’t have done much better before the changes.

Update:

ABC News opened with the story using the pooled helicopter vision seen on Seven and Nine and a similar read report as 10.

Later news update around 7:45pm

9 Likes