Ten News First Content and Appearance

…which is what prompted Nine to launch its own version in February 2011. Although Ten’s 5:00pm weekend news was eventually revived after viewer backlash (or something among those lines), Nine kept its bulletin, and Seven launched theirs in March 2015.

I’d like to think that Nine’s weekend 5:00pm bulletin beats Seven’s, at least on the east coast.

1 Like

It tends to change most weekends, really just a toss of the coin between Nine and Seven for the weekend 5pm news on the east coast.

It also depends on the lead-in too.

2 Likes

That… was my point.

6 Likes

I think the damage has already been done in Adelaide. I can’t see viewers returning.

Brisbane and Perth are only staying afloat as they don’t have a direct local competitor. (At the moment)

The numbers are now justifying a full national edition around the country. I can see this eventuating soon.

Well done Viacom :+1:

7 Likes

The Adelaide numbers have cratered. Yet Perth and Brisbane have not.

10 probably could have managed the Adelaide fall a lot better.

To launch a new newsreader Into a market with no press PR or marketing … disaster

1 Like

It would be awesome to see 10 through out the rule book and launch a true national news with a point of difference at 5-630 and another one at 9.30

But they won’t. They will stick to the same formula, slowly axe syd ey and Melbourne. And end up doing some weird version of semi national semi attempt at local cut and paste news

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother early evening, ditch them and do strong local news at 9.30 every weeknight and a national bulletin on weekends also at 9.30. If they wanna go in a different direction and truly be different that’s the way forward. If they wanna do Adelaide news from ATV so be it but do it like the old days with a proper allocated team to do it live. Same with Perth from Sydney but I’d return Brisbane as that state of big enough for its own news.

You wanna be different? Prove it. The Project covers the news well enough earlier in the evening in a different form anyway.

2 Likes

Problem is viewing levels at 9.30 are about the same as 5pm. So you’d once again be back to running 5 news studios getting audiences of 35,000 to produce one bulletin a day and no online presence. That’s no more financially viable that the most recent set up they just axed

If you’re outputting 5am, breakfast show, 11am, 4pm, 6pm ánd late news (like abc, seven and nine) having local studios and productions is viable. If you’re doing one hour of news a day and no online presence. It’s not

1 Like

If they axe 5pm what would they put their? Whatever shit they do will flop big time.

When doing a cross to the Brisbane newsroom during the 5pm news and Channel 10’s 4pm program is on the screen in the background :wink:

Earlier in teh afternoon

8 Likes

I don’t think anyone, even 10, are surprised that there are fewer watching the new bulletins after centralisation.

So far the the changes that are outside of primetime haven’t flowed through into later in the night to any discernible degree.

6pm news is down very slightly in those markets while 10’s prime time news program The Project is showing similar numbers to recent weeks.

It also hasn’t caused a massive loss of brand support so far. Even if Adelaide is turning off 10 at 5pm, they come back again at night. Adelaide was 10’s best performing market last night where it was the number one station. 10 ranked second in Brisbane ahead of Seven and second in Perth ahead of Nine.

9 Likes

Agreed.

Not sure about everyone else but if Sydney was given the choice between a “local” 10 News First bulletin which is very similar to watching NBN News in metro markets with those clunky transitions or a proper live and local bulletin from one of the big two, I’d pick the latter.

Surely it’s not a matter of if Ten eventually goes for a national bulletin at 5pm weekdays, but when?

Either way, there could be logistical issues in Queensland with both Seven & Nine producing 5.30pm Gold Coast bulletins which are played out from the same control room as the main 6pm news. Everywhere else there shouldn’t be too many hassles, unless of course Nine News Local for Southern NSW/ACT & Victoria is played out from the same control room as the metro 6pm bulletins.

1 Like

Yes they couldn’t do it with their current set up but they could re-configure their control rooms set up to make it work. Possibly including the ability to switch from the Gold Coast (for both BTQ/QTQ) or if Nine News Local gets the can (QTQ).

They’re both trying to compete against each other they don’t see there’s a disgruntled Ten audience looking for alternatives.

1 Like

I’ve noticed a ton of talk about a national bulletin.

Who would actually watch this? You can change the channel and see a dedicated bulletin to your city? Why watch a national bulletin?

Shifting news to 9:30 only will basically kill the brand. The other networks (7, 9, ABC, Sky etc) would’ve already delivered the headlines on multiple bulletins so why would people switch over to 10 to hear potentially outdated news? The ratings of it will rely solely on the offerings prior to the bulletin.

I doubt many members actually suggesting it would watch it anyway.

6 Likes

Exactly. A 9.30pm bulletin might rate OK for Ten on Monday & Thursday when Have You Been Paying Attention & Gogglebox respectively are on beforehand, but I suspect it wouldn’t do that well on other nights of the week.

Besides, The Latest & Nine’s Late News rarely if ever make the Top 20 programs as it is!

3 Likes

News bulletins usually perform poorly in demographics compared to other programming. There are better demo performing options for 10’s target audience for post 9.30 shows.

In total people, at 5pm, 10’s news usually outrates all 9.30 shows on all networks - last week it even outrated 7.30 shows on Seven. It would be hard for 10 to find anything that would perform as well at 5pm and it would lose a huge percentage of its audience at 9.30.

3 Likes

Sandra Sully is known nationwide(through Late News etc.)whereas Jennifer Keyte is more of a ‘local’ celebrity-up until now she had little, if any presence outside Victoria.

3 Likes

Or those who happened to come across old YouTube videos of her presenting…:wave:t2:

2 Likes

Australians watch national news en mass at 5am, 6am, 11am, 5pm weekends, 10.30 weeknights… I’m not aware or any evidence that shows they would not watch national news at 5 or 9.30pm…?

Aussies have all their breakfast shows national. Acá is national. 730 is national. ABC news channel is national. Sky is national.

When I say national news at 5 and 9.30 / I am
Not imagining a news sport weather format. But more a national news format we see overseas. We already have 2 very good local news choices at 6. Not much 10 trying to be the lowest quality 3rd version

That said, what 10 is offering now is hardly local news dedicated to a local market. There are 3-4 local stories, a pre-recorded local weather. And a largely generic blue swirl Backdrop. The rest is largely national content.

2 Likes

The latest and latest news air 10.30-11.30, there is more peope watching TV at 9.30

We’ve seen Nines Sunday news at 9.30 get between 250-350k - that’s very solid for 9.30