Ten News First Content and Appearance

I was only recently reminiscing of the bulletin from 10 years ago with this Late News presentation montage. There hasn’t been anything like it since.

Includes

14 Likes

Or from new ownership. Been here before.

But it has taken them more than a decade to reinvest back into news. I don’t think the expansion is too costly on the network. But it’s the right direction.

5 Likes

What a treat if the new bulletin was similar in style to this era of the late news - was an amazing bulletin.
I think it’s more likely to be similar to 10 News First Breakfast, 30 minutes long with a few interviews and packaged reports.

Perhaps get the likes of Hamish McDonald to host again?

I feel like it will be more a case of moving resources around + to news. Axe Studio 10? (Plus the 6pm half hour)

3 Likes

Absolutely pointless if it isn’t LOCAL. National news late is not offering anything different!! Keep dying in 5pm local news when late local news could be their long term answer to local news.

8 Likes

I’m sorry but what makes you think viewers will watch 10 News Late if their 5pm news doesn’t rate?

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on that - removing 2-2.5 hours of content over 5 cities at 6pm (depending on time of year) and probably adding half an hour of national content later in the evening. Net 1.5-2 hours less news content.

Everything 10 do with news seems to be fairly cost neutral tinkering lately but I could be pleasantly surprised.

Happy to see a late bulletin of some sort back.

1 Like

While I do agree, the 6pm half hour has been rating terribly.

If they can gain the same amount of viewers at a small amount of the cost while creating the perception that they’re invested in news throughout the day, then I’d say that’s a win.

There is no reason for this bulletin to be localised. If Nine and Seven can’t see a reason to do so then I doubt 10 would. Doubt the cost would add up given the much smaller audience.

1 Like

Can’t be much smaller than the 250k they are getting at best at 5pm. It probably only needs to be 30 mins too.

2 Likes

Fair point :joy:
It’s clear 10 are aware of this so I’m sure they’re hoping the new afternoon lineup will help this out.
Otherwise we may see further changes at 5pm in the future. Not sustainable forever.

Gosh, that newsroom set really looked gorgeous during this era of Late News. Everything from play-ins, to standing presentation, to the 3-shot; so beautiful.

As much as I like the current set, I’d drop it in a heartbeat to bring back this set and style of presentation……

14 Likes

There could be a danger they’re going national at 5 and local at 9:30pm. Who knows?

It would be good to have a late news back on 10 and balance out their news offering across the day a little more.

If they actually do bring back late news, all they need to do now is bring back local Brisbane and Sydney and things will be not too bad.

5 Likes

It will be nice to see late news coming back, but I agree with @cmo 10 must bring back the Brisbane local bulletin first.

4 Likes

why do we assume Deal will be 30mins and not an hour?

1 Like

It was 30 mins previously in Australia.

Cause didn’t 10 confirm no changes to The Project?

If you want late news you have ABC 24 which runs comprehensive coverage from the day on the half and top. I wouldn’t even bother turning on 10.

Could they just axe News completely? Or one 5-6pm national bulletin would save some significant cash. No point trying to build an audience the boat has sailed and it’s never coming back. Ten News is finished, just pull the whole thing.

I actually noticed 10 had a lunchtime bulletin the other day when channel surfing. They are so lost it’s just laughable.

1 Like

Yes the 12.00 news has been going for some time now.

3 Likes

Late night updates with Natalie Forrest from this week:

4 Likes

I wonder if we’ll see the late news come from Perth next year?

2 Likes

Based on this comment you are clearly not in 10’s reach or demo so probably not a concern.

2 Likes