Ten News First Content and Appearance

On Sunday night 10 News First was beaten by SBS World News by a fair margin. Something needs to give.

2 Likes

Yep, bite the bullet and go for it.

because 5pm is dying in the ass, and they need a circuit breaker, their 6pm edition is doing better. Obviously, I’ve ALWAYS argued for a local 9/9.30pm news from 10 to be a proper point of difference, but if they don’t want to do that, go hard at 6pm for an hour and do The Project at 7pm and tighten it up. Or they could do Deal 5.30-6.30 and ditch The Project all together and have an hour of news at 6.30.

Is it?

Nine and Seven news rule that hour. How would Ten compete with that? Past history has shown that when all 3 compete against each other then one fails and Seven/Nine will do everything to ensure its not them.

2 Likes

demos yes

I don’t think they could win. Obviously I would have different ideas myself (late news, a tight local 7pm news instead) but they seem obsessed with earlier evening news even though it doesn’t work for them.

1 Like

Yeah absolutely cannot see the sense trying to spend money to go up against 7/9 at their own game. It hasn’t worked for them in the past and absolutely doesn’t work now with the 6pm news - which is in no way doing any better currently.

1 Like

Why bother with any of it when FTA is experiencing year on year decline?

Focus on the future and spend the money on a Paramount Plus Ten News section. Get ahead of the game from 7 and 9 News.

2 Likes

That’s too messy. I’d put Deal Or No Deal at 5:00pm and have 10 News First at 5:30pm

1 Like

Network news is the only thing still going for FTA apart from sports but yes 10 needs a better digital presence for news

Ultimately it’ll prob go at 6 or 6.30 anyway

Ten need to finally recognise that First at Five was always the pensioner express - they’re either dead now or have moved to Seven and Nine. The pensioner express was always an odd fit for its youthful demos and image but god until Lachlan Murdoch destroyed the network, it was the best commercial bulletin - at least in Melbourne.

Ten news is invisible now - there’s no advertising for it around town and if you mistakenly turn it on, it has the feel of a more professional Win News.

Ten basically has two options, let it be the 5 News of Australia - unwatched and irrelevant or take a risk and do something interesting. If it’s the latter, they need to walk away from the evening and go local and late. Put in youthful presenters in front of darker, more sophisticated sets. Bring over some seppos from CBS to do it right.

You also need to look where the demos are going. Ten Play is dead and the linear channel really only serves as a subscriber sign-up tool for P+. Maybe there should be a P+ exclusive bulletin? Get Narelda to present it given her diversity resonates with millennials and younger. Treat the audience like intelligence adults (unlike Seven and Nine) and don’t have any visual links to Ten. BBC Scotland’s The Nine could be a guide on something that would work: https://youtu.be/sjncgdDIbQs?si=5-eSNufWTDp_ASdC

However, given Paramount also owns Five in the UK, we’re in for zero investment and zero interest.

2 Likes

10 needs new ownership and direction.

1 Like

It won’t be 5pm, not when Neighbours will be the new lead in.

A lot of time understandably devoted to the voice campaign on the midday news today including a very soft extended interview with a yes spokesperson.

Fair enough, however, there was not even a footnote at the end of the piece to say they had approached anyone from the no campaign for interview or comment which I would have thought would be the bare minimum disclosure to maintain some degree of impartial reporting.

Be interesting to see if they seek other opinions in coming days.

This is part of it for those wondering: https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSLWdFM4W/

3 Likes

I love this!!!

1 Like

That’s not true. 10s linear business books hundreds of millions of revenue

In honour of ⁊@10NewsFirstSyd⁩ supervising editor Darren Kelleher (centre) the first Friday in September is Dress Like Darren Day. You’ll find Dash honouring the code on every other day as well, while munching on bananas. pic.twitter.com/ip2CVxGH7I

— Hugh Riminton (@hughriminton) September 1, 2023
2 Likes
1 Like

Midday news with Ursula Heger :slight_smile:

4 Likes