Ten News First Content and Appearance

Surely they could rig it up to have a lapel mic?

Better than nothing. At least they are now able to do a live cross for the sports preview when the bulletin is presented from Adelaide.
Previously they’d avoid any direct contact between presenters because they only have the one green screen.

Not the best angle though with boxes in the background.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a better angle than seeing all of the cable snakes dropping down from the ceiling to the desks.

The previous Adelaide newsroom was designed with appearing on screen in mind which is why it always looked sharp even through the evolutions it went through. It’s a shame that none of 10’s current newsrooms outside of Sydney’s (which dates back to the move to Pyrmont in '97) seem to have taken that into account.

5 Likes

It’s a shame when Adeliade moved facilities that they did not have scope for even a small studio/presentation area. A real lack of forsight and planning.

5 Likes

Yeah, it seems like it’s basically just office space these days. I remember the press release from when they moved really talked up the new facilities including a presentation area but in typical form, that seems more spin than substance.
Pity they moved at all from the previous space - cost cutting I’m guessing.

2 Likes

New social ‘top stories’ graphic for the evening news https://x.com/10newsfirstsyd/status/1696037235387404591?s=46&t=RPKXX3QJ5bwM_6c5rMb0SA

1 Like

Sounds like the 6pm half hour of 10 News First could be on the chopping block.

8 Likes

With News now running 5-6pm, that means that during DST Brisbane can get a fully live bulletin.

PS - and Sydney can get a fully local bulletin.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a thought from 10 too. Don’t want to spend the huge amounts of dollars to get Brisbane equipt to run its own bulletin again.
Oddly enough it seems that the current bulletin rates decently well in Brisbane? Sydney is another story

3 Likes

Seems to do comparatively better in Brisbane - which theoretically should be harder - given that big chunk of the audience gets local news at 5.30 on the Gold Coast in competition. Potentially Queenslander Sandra Sully is popular? And of course Josh on weather is a familiar face.

2 Likes

Oh dear, 10 don’t have a good track record with gameshows so not sure why they want to go down this path again

Plus I thought 6pm news was actually doing fairly well, sometimes outrating 5pm in some demos. I’d rather see the project cut back to half an hour and them produce a more punchy, fast paced product, perhaps with one less host.

Still - if they do tinker with the news, I’d hope local presentation returns to Brisbane and/or they add a half an hour bulletin somewhere else.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ten Network - Programs and Schedules

No more satellite trucks for 10.

End of a television era. No more satellite trucks for us - ⁊@DejeroLabs⁩ and ⁊@Starlink⁩ technology now put all this into a backpack. pic.twitter.com/yELDtxMm4M

— Hugh Riminton (@hughriminton) August 29, 2023
3 Likes

The advances of technology. Starlink is gamechanging.

4 Likes

Maybe Deal will go at 5pm? Or 5.30pm and break up the news.

In some ways, I think that would be a better outcome.

2 Likes

Definitely

5 News
530 deal
6 News
7 project

It makes way more sense

2 Likes

Then you just have a game show against established game shows, news against established news, current affairs agsinst cirrent affairs. Can’t see how that’s going to get people to switch channels.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, that would offer no differentiator to the other networks and 10 do best when they run their own race rather than try to compete like-for-like.

4 Likes